Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

YOY Line Chart

Hi,

I have a table similar to below structure, let's call it Raw_Data.

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 3.11.04 PM.png

My data has complete booking date values and contains duplicate booking dates.

Now, I want a line chart with MMM-DD as X-axis and Total Revenue as Y-axis.

The chart should contain 2 lines (2018 vs 2017).

It should be filterable by Payment Method, Product and Pax.

I created a calculated table using YoY = CALENDAR (DATE (YEAR (TODAY ()), 1, 1), TODAY ()) and added the calculated columns on the YoY table using below formulas:

Revenue (2018) = CALCULATE (SUM (Raw_Data[Revenue]), FILTER (ALL (Raw_Data), Raw_Data[Booking Date] = 'YoY'[Date]))

Revenue (2017) = CALCULATE (SUM (Raw_Data[REvenue]), FILTER (ALL (Raw_Data), Raw_Data[Booking Date] = DATE (2017, MONTH ('YoY'[Date]), DAY ('YoY'[Date]))))

Now I can chart the 2018 vs 2017 (as shown below) using above values but my problem is whenever I add "Payment Method" and "Product" as slicer, it doesn't work.

Screen Shot 2018-08-30 at 3.29.31 PM.png

Need help in making the slicer work or finding a better way to present above data.

6 REPLIES 6
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous

As tested, You need to add a column called "year"

year = YEAR([booking date]) 

Then add "year" in the Legend field and set the data format "mm/dd" for "booking date"

2.png3.png

4.png

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-juanli-msft,

Thank you for your response.

I followed your instructions but something is different with my Power BI.

I added the "year" column to the main table then set the BookingDate data format to "d MMMM" since I can't find the format you suggested on the selection as shown below.

Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 2.57.49 PM.png

I then add the "BookingDate" as axis and "year" as legend but the axis still shows the complete date even after changing the format as shown below. Also noticed that the BookingDate didn't show the heirarchy under Axis.

Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 3.29.22 PM.png

I was able to somewhat achieve the desired chart by creating a new column "BookingDate (MMM DD)"  which is just equal to "BookingDate" and is formatted to "d MMMM". Also, it shows heirarchy when added as Axis.

Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 3.16.04 PM.png

The issue with above chart is that it does not show the entire 1 year data, you need to scroll horizontally to view the other data. I want to show the entire 1 year data same as 2nd image above.

Also, there is no option to add a trendline for each year which is important to me.

Additional Notes:

A date filter will be added so the date range can be shorten.

Using "BookingDate (MMM DD)" as filter is not possible since it still contains years data and shortening the range will remove the years that is not part of the range.

Hi @Anonymous

I then add the "BookingDate" as axis and "year" as legend but the axis still shows the complete date even after changing the format as shown below. Also noticed that the BookingDate didn't show the heirarchy under Axis.

Click on dwon arrow of the "BookingDate", then you would see two options, "date" and "date hierachy".

25.png

As tested, if setting as above, it is not possible to add a trend line.

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-juanli-msft,

Thank you for the suggestions. 

The date heirarchy has been resolved but my main issue right now is the missing trendline option and the horizontal scrollbar.

It looks like the issue was caused by "Categorical" data type on X-axis but currently it does not allow me to change the data type to "Continuous".

The first approach mentioned above which shows 2017 vs 2018 in full view (without a horizontal scroll bar) and has a trendline is the ideal view but what is missing is the filter functionality. 

Hopefully someone could provide a better way to show the desired YoY line chart in full view, with trendline and filter functionality.

Hi @Anonymous

How about copying the [date] column which is added to the axis of chart, then add this copied column in the silcer.

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-juanli-msft, thanks for the help but find a workaround on this issue and below is the solution that works for me.

Here's the solution that works for me.

Added a New Measure using this formula

Total Revenue = SUM (Raw_Data[Revenue])

Then added another New Measure for sameperiodlast year

Total Revenue (Previous) = CALCULATE([Total Revenue], SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Date'[Date]))

Below shows YOY Line Chart with trendline and is filterable by dimensions in the table.

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 12.18.27 PM.png

Remaining issue is how can I offset the last year's data so the peaks and lows fall on the same day.

Tried creating a New Column for offset date and use it to calculate last year's revenue but it can't be plotted against 'Date'[Date].

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.