Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

andrmh
Helper II
Helper II

Y Axis scale and Drill down Scale

Hi all,

I have two issues I need help with:

1. Y axis automatically scaling. I have a clustered Column Chart that shows invoicing by month. It is automatically scaling to $10M intervals, 10M, 20M, 30M, 40M. The problem is i want this to be a little more dense, say 5 million intervals, so it shows 5M, 10M, 15M, 20M, 25M, 30M, 35M, 40M. Is this possible, if so how?

2) The same graph mentioned above, lets you drill down into a Month stack, to see days of that month. However the Y Axis is keeping the scale from the highest level of the graph. If I had $26M in invoicing in August, I drill down into august, my daily highest may only be $4M, this makes all the stacks rather small. So I'd prefer to see a Y axis scale adjustment when the drilldown occurs to make the stacks look better on the eye, and reflect the min/max values of the drill down state, not the parent graphs state.

EDIT:

Point 2 I discovered is my fault. In trying to get the Y axis to scale at different intervals I set Y Axis Start property to 0 and Y Axis End to 35M. This did nothing for the parent chart other than make its max 40M instead of 30M, however introduced the problem on the drill down.

So that introduces a different problem. How can I make different drilldown layers present differently? I want to customise Labels, Axis settings etc for each drilldown layer independantly. How can we do this?

Example:

dayofmanth.JPGmonth.JPG

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @andrmh,

In Power BI desktop, all settings related to axis and data labels are applied to each drill down level. If we don't set specific values for Start and End of Axis property, Y-axis values will change based on the current drill down level values dynamically. See:

q2.PNGq3.PNG

For your requirement about dynamic axis scale for each drill down level, you can vote on this similar idea: dynamic axis scaling.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I believe it is either automatic, or manual.  You can't have different manual settings for different drill levels.  What is the problem with just using the automatic scalling?

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Thanks Matt,

No real problem with the auto scaling, We would prefer more "density" i guess on the y axis labelling, just a visual thing really.

there quite often seems plenty of space on that Y axis, particularly for large graphs. A setting to increase(or decrease even) axis density/clustering would be good. similar i guess to how Data label clustering was recently changed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.