Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Xero Connection

Hi

I am just connected to Xero through Power Bi and am getting the message on the screen, "You're viewing sample data. After the data is connected and refresh, and reload the page". I have refreshed the data and can see I have a conncetion in Xero but still am not getting my Xero data. Any ideas?

Thanks

Kate

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

Which error did you encounter with? Please refer to troubleshooting tips below about xero connection:

• Xero users must have the following roles to access the Xero template app for Power BI: "Standard + Reports" or "Advisor". The template app relies on the user-based permissions to access reporting data through Power BI.
  • If you receive a failure after loading for some time, verify how long it took to see that error message. The access token provided by Xero is only valid for 30 minutes, so accounts with more data than can be loaded in that time frame will fail. We're actively working to improve this limitation.
  • During the load, the tiles on the dashboard are in a generic loading state. They stay that way until the full load completes. If you receive a notification that your load completed but the tiles are still loading, try refreshing the dashboard tiles using the ... in the top right of your dashboard.
  • If your template app fails to refresh, check if you have connected to the same organization more than once in Power BI. Xero only allows a single active connection to an organization and you may see an error indicating your credentials are invalid if you connect to the same one more than once.
  • For issues connecting the Xero template app for Power BI, like error messages or slow load times, first clear the cache / cookies and restart the browser, then reconnect to Power BI.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
EugeneLebedev
Helper III
Helper III

Xero content pack is depreciated now I believe so this isn't relevant anymore. You can still build custom Xero reports in Power BI if you use third-party connectors.  Here is the approach I used before. It is great for combining data from multiple Xero accounts and customization of your data format since it is bespoke: https://vidi-corp.com/connect-xero-to-power-bi-tableau-excel-looker-studio/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous @shaunwalker @Anonymous 

If you're looking for an easier way of getting your Xero data into Power BI, check this out: https://apps.xero.com/nz/search/app/synchub

Simple platform that does the syncing for you.

– Bryce

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im having the same issue please help

shaunwalker

Hi

I am experiencing the same issue as the originator of this query.

I am using Chrome 78.0

I am a Xero user with Admin/Advisor permissions

I have:

subscribed to the Power BI Pro version (60 day trial)

cleared cache in Chrome

removed saved login/password for Xero (in Chrome)

I followed on-line instructions for connecting Power BI to Xero.

The message that I confront after installing the Xero App in Power BI is: “You’re viewing sample data. After the data is connected and refreshed, reload the page”

How do I connect to/refresh the Xero data?

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

Which error did you encounter with? Please refer to troubleshooting tips below about xero connection:

• Xero users must have the following roles to access the Xero template app for Power BI: "Standard + Reports" or "Advisor". The template app relies on the user-based permissions to access reporting data through Power BI.
  • If you receive a failure after loading for some time, verify how long it took to see that error message. The access token provided by Xero is only valid for 30 minutes, so accounts with more data than can be loaded in that time frame will fail. We're actively working to improve this limitation.
  • During the load, the tiles on the dashboard are in a generic loading state. They stay that way until the full load completes. If you receive a notification that your load completed but the tiles are still loading, try refreshing the dashboard tiles using the ... in the top right of your dashboard.
  • If your template app fails to refresh, check if you have connected to the same organization more than once in Power BI. Xero only allows a single active connection to an organization and you may see an error indicating your credentials are invalid if you connect to the same one more than once.
  • For issues connecting the Xero template app for Power BI, like error messages or slow load times, first clear the cache / cookies and restart the browser, then reconnect to Power BI.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors