Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

X-axis categorical line chart without scrollbar

Hello,

I have a dataset with a variable Interval in hh:mm:ss, which I use on the x-axis of a line chart. Interval data has the category Time and consists of intervals of approximately 30 seconds for 1 hour (00:00:00 until 01:00:00). If I use the X-Axis Type Continuous setting, the chart is plotted in 'one' view without scrollbar at the bottom of the chart. This setting shows the time from 12:00 AM - 1:00 AM. I need to have the time represented in hh:mm:ss on the x-axis of the chart. If I use the Categorical Type for the X-Axis I get the correct time representation, but I get a scrollbar at the bottom of the chart to scroll through time. This is not useful for our situation. Is there a way to display the data in 'one' view without the scrollbar? So that you see all data for the whole hour at one glance?

Thank you for the help.

Capture11.pngCapture21.png

7 REPLIES 7
ryan_mayu
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous

I think this is becuase too many values on X-axis. Maybe you can try group values to reduce the amount of values.

screenshot.JPG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello ryan_mayu,

I think grouping the values worked, thank you! Smiley Happy

Capture4.PNG

The values on the X-axis are displayed diagonal, is there a way to display them vertical? Like in the second image of my original post. I have tried the X-axis Format options, without result.

@Anonymous

I changed the type to Categorical in x-aixs property. I am not sure if this can solve your problem. You can try this.

Capture.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ryan_mayu

I already use type Categorical in the X-axis Format property. Before I used your solution to group the Interval (time) I got the values displayed vertically like in your image and like in my original post. After using your group solution the values are displayed diagonally. Is there a way to set them vertical?

@Anonymous

This is interesting. I never noticed about that. 

You can increase the category width. However, if the value shows vertical, the scrollbar shows up...  😞

I guess the values shows vertical when the value is too long and scrollbar shows up as well. 

Let's see if anyone else can help you on that....

Capture.JPG

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous

As tested, I don't find any option to make the line chart look like what you like.

i work with a custom visual called "drill down column chart for time based data"

Hope this can be a available workaround for your scenario

6.png

Reference:

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/WA104380881?tab=Overview

Best regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Maggie,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunatly this is not the workaround we are looking for. The graphic needs to be a line chart like in my original post. But again, thank you for helping.

Regards,

Cas

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.