Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Jackofall
Resolver I
Resolver I

X-Axis Sort by month AND year, Sort by column greyed out.

Yet another thread about sorting months over the New Year. I am familiar witch making a sorting-column INT(YYYYMM). I crated one in the Query editor. I have a stringcolumn that I use for the X-axis. My sample goes from 2017 Aug - 2018 Apr. When I try to chose sort order on my Column chart I have to chose between either get the sorting right OR showing 2017 Aug at the X-axis.

How do I behave to sort by YearMonthInt that performs well and ShortDate that shows 2017 Aug?

A_sort.PNGA_sort2.PNGA_sort3.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have one column int with YYYYMM that works splendid to ored my columns by but I want to show 2017 Dec, 2018 Jan, 2018 Feb under the X-axle in the table. That is my problem. If I chose YearMonthInt in Shared Axis I see numbers under the X-Axle.

If I chose ShortDate (2017 Jan as text) I am not allowd to use YearMonthInt. It finally dawned on me. The reason I failed is that I did not understand that I had to highlight my Shortdate Field in the far right and then Sort by Column ungreyd for me. I tried to do it from the specific table.

Now I wrap neatly from 2017 Okt to 2018 Apr.

Order over year.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Jackofall,

The "Sort by" here only can be applied once a time.

Maybe you can add an index column and use the function "Sort by column".

X_Axis_Sort_by_month_AND_year_Sort_by_column_greyed_out

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I have one column int with YYYYMM that works splendid to ored my columns by but I want to show 2017 Dec, 2018 Jan, 2018 Feb under the X-axle in the table. That is my problem. If I chose YearMonthInt in Shared Axis I see numbers under the X-Axle.

If I chose ShortDate (2017 Jan as text) I am not allowd to use YearMonthInt. It finally dawned on me. The reason I failed is that I did not understand that I had to highlight my Shortdate Field in the far right and then Sort by Column ungreyd for me. I tried to do it from the specific table.

Now I wrap neatly from 2017 Okt to 2018 Apr.

Order over year.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.