Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

samdep
Advocate II
Advocate II

X-Axis Bar Chart Groupings

Hi Community!

I have a table of data similar to the below:

Name                  Speed    Agility     Purpose

John                    4            3             2

John's Manager   3            2             3

In excel, the layout of this data would allow for a simple barchart where the X-axis is Speed, Agility, Purpose... and the bars for Speed, for example, would be side-by-side for easy visual comparison of differences in scores - even if the names were the fields and the scores, the rows. Excel does the below with either layout.

John.JPG

For the life of me, I cannot figure how to do this in PBI.... Do I need to pivot my data in PQ in some way to achieve this?

I just want to see John's self rating for Speed next to his manager's rating, then John's rating for Agilty next to his manager's rating for Agility and so on... Is this possible with my data layout as it is in my table?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @samdep 

Yes, you need to unpivot the columns. But for what you mentioned above, I would recommend to unpivot all three fields( Speed,Agility,Purpose), and then filter the fields you want to compare.

Result:

vangzhengmsft_1-1638852448290.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Zeon Zheng

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @samdep 

Yes, you need to unpivot the columns. But for what you mentioned above, I would recommend to unpivot all three fields( Speed,Agility,Purpose), and then filter the fields you want to compare.

Result:

vangzhengmsft_1-1638852448290.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Zeon Zheng

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This is very helpful, thank you!

samdep
Advocate II
Advocate II

Figured it out. If anyone stumbles on this and is looking for an answer, I unpivoted my data in PQ and the field (Agility, Speed) became rows and from there, I was able to group by row and compare the same data point for two users side-by-side.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.