Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gpiero
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Wrong input in a field Date

I'm facing a very courios issue.

I have a list in Sharepoint where my Supplier write a Date.

pict10.JPG

The list is corretly formatted in Sharepoint.

When upload the data in Power BI I am getting this

pic11.JPG

Since the date it is not correct, whatever statistics wil be wrong.

I tought I have found the solution as showed below

DDT IssueDateNew = DATEVALUE(day('Third Party Delivery Notes'[DDT issue date]) + 1 &"/"& month('Third Party Delivery Notes'[DDT issue date]) & "/"& YEAR('Third Party Delivery Notes'[DDT issue date])) & " "& TIMEVALUE(hour('Third Party Delivery Notes'[DDT issue date]) - 22 &":"& MINUTE('Third Party Delivery Notes'[DDT issue date]) &":"& SECOND('Third Party Delivery Notes'[DDT issue date]))

But it does not work when the date to evaluate is 31/03/2016: Power BI calculate 32/03/2016!!.

So my question is: which is the best practise to solve this issue from the root? Why a field date in Sharepoint is managed in this way by PBI?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

If I can...
9 REPLIES 9
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@gpiero Fact that powerbi calculates '32/03/2016' means that it is not identifying column as a date column. Have you checked that imported column is date type column ? From DAX you provided you're extract day out of date field and adding 1 to it. I see you've used outer DATEVALUE function but since it has returned back 32 means DATEVALUE function is probably not working. May I ask why you need to use that DAX to be able to format date ?

@ankitpatira

I fear I have not explained clearly the basic issue. Let me try once again step by step.

My Supplier put the right date: 10/05/2016.

PBI write 09/05/2016 22:00:00 and here the issue arise.

Due to this PBI behavior the perfomance of my Supplier is not right

Here you are how the data has been imported in PBI

= Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Rimosse colonne",{{"Id", Int64.Type}, {"DDT issue date", type datetime}, {"DDT approved date", type datetime}, {"FornitoriId", Int64.Type}})

Anyway I'll check again importing the same data in a new table

If I can...

@ankitpatira

I have repeated the import

= Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Ordinate righe",{{"DDT issue date", type date}})

pic12.JPG

Before applying the query, in the column DDT issue date you could find 12/05/2016 22:00:00. Now it is type date but should be 13/05/2016, because this is the data put in the Sharepoint.

Do you have some other suggestion? I did not trasformed yet the column DDT approved date in case we want try something else.

If I can...

@ankitpatira

thanks to your observation I realized that one of the two columns was wrongly defined.

In fact now I do not need to put DATEVALUE.

Anyway the basic issue of the datetime that come from Sharepoint list remain and I solved it ( temporarly I hope)  as shown below.

DDT IssueDateNew = day(('Third Party Delivery Notes'[DDT issue date]) + 1) &"/"& month('Third Party Delivery Notes'[DDT issue date]) & "/"& YEAR('Third Party Delivery Notes'[DDT issue date]) & " "& hour('Third Party Delivery Notes'[DDT issue date]) - 22 &":"& MINUTE('Third Party Delivery Notes'[DDT issue date]) &":"& SECOND('Third Party Delivery Notes'[DDT issue date])

I wonder if someone else has faced the same issue ad how it has been solved.

Thanks again

If I can...

What is the DateTime format supported by Power BI to push data in that column?

@yogeshne

Thank for your message.

The problem arose last May had two variable: the first one my poor knowledge at the beginning, the second one a behaviour the MS support has defined "by design of Sharepoint".

Now I solved temporary the problem using a workaround suggested by MS tech support.

It consist to add some code in the query that trasform properly the field Date manually inserted in the Sharepoint list.

If I can...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @gpiero,

Can you share your solution? I'm facing the same issue importing dates from Sharepoint lists. Both are DateTime columns, but I've 1 day difference like you.

Hi @Anonymous

during the last months I tried several solutions, included the workaround proposed by MS Support.

I would like to share the last solution I found. I think it is the best one because you do not need to add a calculated column to your data.

I changed data connection on all my PBI report using the option ODATA feed from Get Data.

Source = SharePoint.Tables("https://MyCompany.sharepoint.com/sites/Wmsh/en/wkfmgt", [ApiVersion = 15]),
    #"9a424f75-b565-498f-a57f-220da7d75fdf" = Source{[Id="9a424f75-b565-498f-a57f-220da7d75fdf"]}[Items],

Here you will find the right value for your Datetime column.

Here the string to connect to the site the contains your Sharepoint list.

https://MyCompany.sharepoint.com/sites/Wmsh/en/WkfMgt/_vti_bin/listdata.svc

Regards

gpiero

If I can...
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gpiero,

OData.Feed solution works like a charm, thanks for the tip. Smiley Happy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.