Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Writing an IF statement referencing a column, not a measure

I have a table(Part Number Master) with a column titled "BOM".  The results in that Column is either null or B.

I currently have the following measure locted in the Part Number Master table:

Order = (((sum('Part Number Master'[TOTAL DAYS LEAD TIME])/7)+2.8)*'Part Number Master'[Avg Weekly Consumption])-sum('52 Week Consumption'[On Hand])-sum('52 Week Consumption'[On Order])

I want to make a change to the measure were if the part number has a "B" in the BOM column, change the formula to "+3.8" instead of the current "+2.8". Something like this:

Order = if('Part Number Master'[BOM]="B",  (((sum('Part Number Master'[TOTAL DAYS LEAD TIME])/7)+3.8)*'Part Number Master'[Avg Weekly Consumption])-sum('52 Week Consumption'[On Hand])-sum('52 Week Consumption'[On Order]),(((sum('Part Number Master'[TOTAL DAYS LEAD TIME])/7)+2.8)*'Part Number Master'[Avg Weekly Consumption])-sum('52 Week Consumption'[On Hand])-sum('52 Week Consumption'[On Order]))

The problem is when I type =if(.........it will not allow for a column entry, it only allows me to select other "Measures".

Basically, if the part number BOM column has a B, I want to order an extra week's worth of inventory.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

4 REPLIES 4
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

In addition, using FIRSTNONBLANK Function (DAX) should also work in this scenario. The formula below is for your reference.

Order =
IF (
    FIRSTNONBLANK ( 'Part Number Master'[BOM], 1 ) = "B",
    (
        (
            ( SUM ( 'Part Number Master'[TOTAL DAYS LEAD TIME] ) / 7 )
                + 3.8
        )
            * 'Part Number Master'[Avg Weekly Consumption]
    )
        - SUM ( '52 Week Consumption'[On Hand] )
        - SUM ( '52 Week Consumption'[On Order] ),
    (
        (
            ( SUM ( 'Part Number Master'[TOTAL DAYS LEAD TIME] ) / 7 )
                + 2.8
        )
            * 'Part Number Master'[Avg Weekly Consumption]
    )
        - SUM ( '52 Week Consumption'[On Hand] )
        - SUM ( '52 Week Consumption'[On Order] )
)

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the error I am receiving when using your suggestion.  Is this an issue with my database or just with the formula?

Capture.PNG

Hi @Anonymous,

What data source are you using in this case? Based on my research, the error is returned by the MS SSAS server.

Reference:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/ec842da4-2cfa-4f2b-95e3-8627ba18f622/the-operation-was-cancelled-because-of-locking-conflicts?forum=sqlanalysisservices

https://archive.sap.com/discussions/thread/3840305

Regards

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You need to use an aggregation function, in this case you should be able to use VALUES function.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.