Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Mystery
Helper I
Helper I

Write back to database using Power BI report

Hello All,

I need to write back to the SQL database from a Power Bi report hosted using Power BI service.

What could be the best option next to Power apps,as Power apps has a license cost associated.

Please suggest.

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mystery,

AFAIK, power bi desktop does not include any writeback features. It is a reporting tool that is used to get data from specific data sources and design charts and visualizations.

If you want to do writeback operations, you may need to use external tools or integrated external features. (e.g. powerapps, r script, python)

Using Python in Power BI Power Query Editor - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Use R in Power Query Editor - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey!

Inforiver, a custom visual for Power BI, would fit your requirements.

To be specific, some of the use cases for which Inforiver can be used are:

Distributed Sales Data Entry & Writeback in Power BI Reading View: Captured distributed data entry (say, from 500 sales reps) in Power BI Reading (read-only) mode and write them back to a central location along with user rep name and time stamp

Bi-Directional Writeback: Writeback data to a database or file destination and retrieve (updated) data from the data store with direct query live consumption with other Power BI visuals and reports

For more details, sign up for our webinar coming up on April 5, 2022. You can also watch a replay of the webinar in case you are not able to make it.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mystery,

AFAIK, power bi desktop does not include any writeback features. It is a reporting tool that is used to get data from specific data sources and design charts and visualizations.

If you want to do writeback operations, you may need to use external tools or integrated external features. (e.g. powerapps, r script, python)

Using Python in Power BI Power Query Editor - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Use R in Power Query Editor - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @Mystery ,

you could use custom visuals like Acterys Table Edit or the Power ON Power planner, but they are more expensive.

PowerApps will be the cheapest option.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Thanks Denis.

Power apps is the obvious solution,I agree.

Could you please suggest any other option by which this could be achieved.

To give more details the requirement is that once the Power bi service renders the report a second report should be presented to the user which should have some fields in which the user can input planned values for the future.the same should be pushed back to the database,and the first report should pick up those changes and populate a graph accordingly.

anything other than power apps you could think of.

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.