Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Working with Hierachical Structures - Hierachy Slicer

Hi Everyone,

I have some trouble working wirh Hierachys in a Hierachy Slicer. What i want to show is a Slicer like this:

dennis_tegut_0-1597664281104.png

(i am using th custom visual "Hierachy Slicer" instead of a normal slicer to hide the empty Levels of the Hierachy).

As you can see i get what i want. Yet i have to "manipulate" the data to get my result. My actual data looks like this:

dennis_tegut_1-1597664425059.png

It's quite the standard parent-child hierachy type. If i just use this data, the slicer is incorrect:

dennis_tegut_2-1597664476766.png

It is just "connecting" child and parent, ignoring grandchildren (e.g. "9 --> 13" should be appended to 4 so it is "1 --> 4 ---> 9 ---> 13"). To achieve my desired solution i create a table like this:

dennis_tegut_3-1597664595445.png

Problem is that my real data has like 10 Hierachy levels with tons of children. When i manipulate the data like my sample data, i get a huge table which leads to a very slow responding Slicer.

My question is: is there an easier way to achieve my desired Slicer with a better performance?

Regards,

Dennis

9 REPLIES 9
simrantuli
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can use the normal slicer and just filter out the 'blanks' using the Filter Pane on the right in PBI Desktop. 

Does this solve your issue?

Best Regards
Simran Tuli

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, i cannot just remove the blanks via filter pane. When i e.g. say do not show blanks for "Level 2", the row with "Bruttoumsatz vor Erlösminderungen" in "Level 1" is filtered either as it is blank in Level 2. That is not what i want to achieve

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

have you tried the normal slicer? i think it has the ability to show hierachies now

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @vanessafvg ,

It seems that the standard slicer is indeed way faster (quite impressive :D). But as i mentioned before, i cannot hide blank values, can i? My Hierachy is not balanced, so there are some pathes that go just to Level 2, others go all the way to Level 9, so i am getting many blank values. This is not really ideal for user experience.

Regards,

Dennis

hmm i see your issue, can you share your slicer data in text form?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you mean the sample data or the real data? Can i upload .txt or .csv data here?

no you have to use one drive or such to upload, but not necessary, just copy some of the data, making sure you include with the blanks into here should be fine, as long it comes from excel or something so that the format is retained

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is the data:

Level 1Level 2Level 3Level4Level 5
Bruttoumsatz vor Erlösminderungen   
ErlösschmälerungenVerlustvorgriff VK   
ErlösschmälerungenLokale Preise VK   
ErlösschmälerungenZentrale Aktion VK   
BruttoumsatzAußenumsatzerlöseEinzelhandel AU  
BruttoumsatzAußenumsatzerlöseEinzelhandel AU (Retail)  
BruttoumsatzAußenumsatzerlöseSonstige Außenumsätze  
BruttoumsatzAußenumsatzminderung        Gewährte Rabatte  
BruttoumsatzAußenumsatzminderung        Pflichtpfand - Rückgabe  
BruttoumsatzAußenumsatzminderung        Gewährte Skonti 0 %  
BruttoumsatzAußenumsatzminderung        Gewährte Boni 0%  
BruttoumsatzAußenumsatzminderung        Abgrenzung Pfandverbindlichkeiten an Kunden IFRS 
BruttoumsatzInnenumsatztegut Innenumsatz  
BruttoumsatzInnenumsatzSteuerfreie Lieferungen Drittland IC  
UmsatzsteuerKorrekturkonto UmsatzsteuerKorrekturkonto Umsätze (Mwst)  
UmsatzsteuerKorrekturkonto UmsatzsteuerKorrekturkto. Mwst (Retail)  
UmsatzsteuerKorrekturkonto Mwst. manuell  
UmsatzsteuerUmsatzsteuer zum Innenumsatz Produktion  
UmsatzsteuerUmsatzerlöse h. St.   
UmsatzsteuerUmsatzerlöse v. St.   
NettoumsatzNettoumsatz (Retail)   
NettoumsatzToto/Lotto/Post/TelefonkartenErträge Post/DPD            Erträge Postagentur Provisionsanteil Personalkosten
NettoumsatzToto/Lotto/Post/TelefonkartenErträge Post/DPD            Provision Postagentur
NettoumsatzToto/Lotto/Post/TelefonkartenErträge Post/DPD            Erträge Post Abgrenzung
NettoumsatzToto/Lotto/Post/TelefonkartenErträge Post/DPD            Erträge Hermes Paketshop
NettoumsatzToto/Lotto/Post/TelefonkartenErträge Post/DPD            Provision DPD und Textilreinigung volle Steuer
NettoumsatzToto/Lotto/Post/TelefonkartenErträge Post/DPD            Erträge Postagentur Provisionsanteil Personalkosten 19%
NettoumsatzToto/Lotto/Post/TelefonkartenErträge Toto/Lotto            Erträge Spielautomaten Toto / Lotto 15%
NettoumsatzToto/Lotto/Post/TelefonkartenErträge Toto/Lotto            Erträge Spielautomaten Toto / Lotto volle Steuer
NettoumsatzToto/Lotto/Post/Telefonkartenübrige Provisionserlöse            Erträge Provision Telefonkarten
NettoumsatzToto/Lotto/Post/Telefonkartenübrige Provisionserlöse            Ertäge Provision Internetshop volle Steuer
NettoumsatzToto/Lotto/Post/Telefonkartenübrige Provisionserlöse        Toto/Lotto/Post/Telefonkarten (Budget)
NettoumsatzToto/Lotto/Post/TelefonkartenErträge Gutscheinkartenverkauf  
WareneinsatzWareneinsatz Gesamt (Retail)        Wareneinsatz Aufwand  
WareneinsatzWareneinsatz Gesamt (Retail)        Aufschlag in den Wareneinsätzen  
WareneinsatzWareneinsatz Gesamt (Retail)        CO Korrektur Verwaltungsaufschlag Wareneinsatz 

Hi @Anonymous, were you ever able to find a solution to this issue? I have literally the exact same issue  down to the parent-child table with varied levels. I imagine there may be a way to generate the "fixed" table you are making via a function, but rather than trying to come up with that logic myself I'm hoping you or someone else already has a solution for this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.