Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Workarounds for Publish to web limitations of arcGIS for Power BI?

Hi,

I'm trying to determine whether using the arcGIS visualization option could work for my needs. I need to be able to publish to web for public view (of public, noncommercial data). Within Power BI Desktop, I can create it just fine, with US county names in the "Location" field well which I can then use a Color map theme to shade counties by my quantitative variable. However, I can't publish to web like this - this help page explains why:

"Power BI data used to create the ArcGIS for Power BI map must use latitude and longitude coordinates for locations. If the Location field well contains addresses or standard boundaries, publishing to the web will not work."

Does anyone know 1) why this frustrating limitation is in place? and 2) do I have any options at all for working around this, so that I can publish with entire counties outlined and shaded rather than just lat/lon points? It's a map of county data, so it loses a lot visually if I can't have county polygons.

2 REPLIES 2
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I'm afraid it was set like this and it's not on Power BI side. Maybe you could consider to submit your idea.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I've now talked to ESRI, as of the moment they're not supporting it, but they may decide to do so in the future. Ah well - still interested in clever workarounds if anyone has solved this problem before!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.