Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Work around to disable click in power bi desktop

Hi Everyone,

In a report which i am working on, I want to disable the click on a particular chart. (The issue is not about edit interactions).

I know it is not possible in power bi . but is there a workaround ? Please see below for detailed issue

I have two charts in power bi . The first chart filters the second one , so i changed edit interactions to filter in second one. And I dont want second chart to interact with the first chart . So i changes edit interactions to none in first chart. But the issue is , if i click on the second chart , there is no change in first chart which is ok . but the result is getting distutbed in second chart . Please view below pictures

Screenshot (125).png

i clicked on a file id and changes happen in seond chart. but when i click on the second chart, the result gets distirbed like below picture.

Screenshot (124).png

Is there any way to keep the result undisturbed until i click on the next file ID.

Appreciate If anyone could suggest me a workaround. Thanks in Advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi @Anonymous - I do not think there is a feature at the moment to disable the click as you require - you could use the approach to put a blank text box but unfortunately that would disable your tool tip as well. 

Please mark the above comment as a solution to help others find it more quickly. Also please provide a 👍 if my comment helped with solving your issue. Thanks! 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
jgubler
Advocate III
Advocate III

This is a workaround, but it will disable the filtering from clicking a viaual for more than just the one visual:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Disable-being-able-to-filter-by-clicking-on-value-in-visual...

CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, @Anonymous , did u try this functionality on UI to keep vizs from filtering each other?

Untitled.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @CNENFRNL ,

The Issue here is not about edit interactions. Edit intearctions are working as expected and is not effecting first visual even if i click on the second chart,but the second chart result is getting changed and i want it to be unchanged until i click another file id - in first chart. 

See above pictures. I want hover option only in the second chart . But i thought if the end user click by mistake it can mess up . So I am looking for a workaround

Sumanth_23
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

hi @Anonymous - you can place an empty text box over the 2nd visual with the exact dimensions - this way the visual will be visible to the user but when they click they will not be able to click or interact with the visual as such.

Please mark the above comment as a solution to help others find it more quickly. Also please provide a 👍 if my comment helped with solving your issue. Thanks!  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your quick responses. I tried it But The visual have tooltip , as i hover on it it shows important information. that is not working with the method Suggested ..

Anonymous
Not applicable

the original dashboard is like below. End user will be clicking on each file id to see changes in second chart and only hover on the second chart to see extra information provided in tooltip report. This is the functionality of the report. But the clicking on second chart is messing up the result which is the problemScreenshot (126).png

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on your description, I think the problem may be in toolip.

You could use isfiltered in a measure or tooltip page.

See if this blog will help you.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @V-lianl-msft ,

Tooltip is working fine . its not the problem . 

Conventionally we use a button in the home page to drill through to another page . In that case the result in the drill through page remains same until we click back button and select another file id to activate drill through..  

But here i kept the charts in same page. Here the problem is the result in the second chart are disturbed before clicking on the next file ID . When i click on a file id in first chart ,it filters the second chart .This is fine. but  What is the problem is ,in the second chart the end users may click by mistake instead of hovering, and clicking on second chart means the result is messed up . So i want to disable the click and enable only hovering on second chart. 

hi @Anonymous - I do not think there is a feature at the moment to disable the click as you require - you could use the approach to put a blank text box but unfortunately that would disable your tool tip as well. 

I'm having the same issue. 

I filter from a 1st graph and when a point is selected on the 2nd, the filter is broken. I still want to see the tooltip so can not use a transparent object to stop the user clicking on the second graph.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.