Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Word cloud inconsistent values

Hi 

I have a strange problem with the word cloud visual:

Two word clouds, both reference to the same field (sales article titles). Both have exact the same settings. Only difference: one shows data for 1 month, example December 2020. The other references to total date hirstory, example October - December 2020.

The problem is that the first word cloud, which only references to one month, calculates more repetitions for the same word than the second word cloud, which reflects the total date history. This should at least be vice-versa.

This is for every word the same case. Example the "word" 1 is repeated 672 times in December 2020 and repeated 472 times from October - December 2020 - as per word cloud...

This should of course not be the case. Can someone help with this?

4 REPLIES 4
v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution. More people will benefit from it. Or you are still confused about it, please provide me with more details about your table and your problem or share me with your pbix file from your Onedrive for Business.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Can share the setting(Filter) or measure/ formula you are using

I am assuming you have measure like this for one month

MTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESMTD('Date'[Date]))

Or may be the visual level filter

Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak hi and thank you. Filters:

- Word cloud 1: DATE is; December

- Word cloud 2: DATE is; none selected (all dates)

There are no other filters set. I have no measures calculated either.

Unfortunately I can't share sample data or pbix. I've checked both word clouds step by step several times. Only difference is the date filter. Everything else is the same for both word clouds.

What may be important; both visuals have the known "too many values" message. 

Technically I don't know if word cloud 1 calculates it's repetitions from different rows from the same column - this could explain the difference.

Hi @Anonymous 

I think your problem is that the word visual(no filter) should return a result bigger than 672 (Dec), returns a incorrect value 472.

Here I have some advice:

1. Please check whether your power bi desktop version is the latest one.

If it's not, please update your desktop from this link: Download

2. You may use count function in word cloud without building a measure.

Check the function in both visuals you use is count function instead of discount function.

I have a test by my sample.

2.png

Result:

3.png

Left one Word D in Dec return to 2, Right one Word D no filter return to 5.

Please check whether there are other filters in your Word2.

Error: Too many visuals may be caused too many word categorys in your (sales article titles).

You can show TopN to solve this issue.

Best Regards,

Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.