Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ckarm
Frequent Visitor

Windows 10 crashes with blue screen while using Power BI Desktop

Hi all,

Due to professional reasons, I have started using Power BI Desktop (latest 64-bit version) on Windows 10 x64 version 1909.  I have a lenovo laptop with 8 GB RAM and i7 processor. The application starts without issues and I can work for a while loading data from excel tables and performing queries and reports. After a while I observe that the RAM usage gets significantly high (1.8 to 2 GB) and at some point everything blocks and windows crashes with the blue screen and error code  DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. I had never seen that screen before in the laptop that I am using.

I contacted the technical support of Microsoft and with remote desktop they took several steps to resolve the problem, among others update of the drivers, compatibility troubleshooting,  memory and disk checks, even an in-place upgrade in case there were system files corrupted. Nothing unfortunately has worked out and I am quite desperate since I cannot perform my work.  

I have searched the forum and I found a similar topic 3 years ago but there is no concrete solution to the problem. I would be surprised if it was just me having this problem. 

I would be grateful for some feedback and advice.

Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ckarm ,

First of all, We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue have caused.Does this issue also happened in the previous version, such as February 2020 or January 2020? Does this error happened in Power Query Editor or Report Editor View? Are there any complex power query or measure applied? Have you tried re-install the Power BI Desktop or use the Microsoft Store Version?

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Dear @v-lid-msft ,

thank you for your email.

I have indeed tried with previous versions, the Dec-19 for instance, and unfortunately the problem has also occurred.

I cannot determine when the crash exactly happens, that is while working in the Power Query Editor or Report Editor View; it seems to be irrelevant in my case as it can happen anytime. 

I am not using any complex queries and/or measures. I have just 4 tables with the biggest of them holding less than 1000 records and all the data is loaded from excel files.

With another power bi file I am working on, which connects to an Access db and it has much more records and more complex measures, the problem of the crash also occurs; I cannot say I have observed a different behaviour due to the more complex nature of the model and the data.  

The setup binary I have downloaded it from the power bi webpage, not from the Microsoft Store; I will try to check also with the latter just in case.

Regards

Hi @ckarm ,

How about the result after you follow the suggestions mentioned in my original post? Could you please provide more details about it If it still not be resolved? Please don't contain any Confidential Information or Real data in your reply.

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @ckarm ,

Two days ago, there is a new version 2.79.5768.1082 of Power BI Desktop, but it does not mention what is fixed in the new version, could you please try to verify if this issue can reproduce in this new version?

If this issue still be reproducible on your side, We suggest you to open a ticket here for help if you are a pro user: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Best regards,

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

You should also check if is there some known issue at: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

If you are taking help Windows team. Then you can log a support ticket for power bi at https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

File | Options and settings | Options | Diagnostics what is the version of Desktop?

If you have already been to technical support, I assume it is the latest but just checking.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi Greg,

it's this one: 2.79.5768.721 64-bit (March 2020)

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.