Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

jzimmem

Will the Power BI Designer "Create Measure" interface be changed to be in the context of the columns

Will the Power BI Designer "Create Measure" interface be changed to be in the context of the columns similar to PowerPivot and Visual Studio today. I find it awkward to create a measure without actually seeing the columnar sources and results in the same screen.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
LanceDelano
Employee
Employee

The future of creating a calc column will definitely include context.  This will play out in a couple of ways.  Give us a month or so and you'll be begin to see how it will work.

Lance

View solution in original post

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I also hope that the current tabular interface for measures will go away. Some sort of a folder/tree like structure that would allow to easily find and organize measures would be great.

Also, dealing with MTD/QTD/YTD, Var to Plan, Var to Forecast, Var to Last Year, Var %... somehow needs to be addressed so that we don’t end up having to write/organize 5-10 different variations of the same measure over and over again like we have to do today.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I also hope that the current tabular interface for measures will go away. Some sort of a folder/tree like structure that would allow to easily find and organize measures would be great.

Also, dealing with MTD/QTD/YTD, Var to Plan, Var to Forecast, Var to Last Year, Var %... somehow needs to be addressed so that we don’t end up having to write/organize 5-10 different variations of the same measure over and over again like we have to do today.

LanceDelano
Employee
Employee

The future of creating a calc column will definitely include context.  This will play out in a couple of ways.  Give us a month or so and you'll be begin to see how it will work.

Lance
gbrueckl
Frequent Visitor

Hi jzimmem,

I am not aware of any plans to make the interface similar to the one that you know from PowerPivot/VS. In some ways i like this new approach of creating new measures measures, however, when the model gets big and you have 50+ measures this will be a pain to maintain. Maybe you should fill a feature request for this.

hth,

-gerhard

I think (or hope!) that the feedback is not about having the measure grid "as is"; but having a way to display the result of measures and calculated colunmns in a "test" environment. In the PP measure grid you see the result of the measure in a certain filter context (defined by current table filters) and you also see the value of the calculated column for each row of the table. This is completely missing today in Power BI Designer and this is the type of UI that is required, IMHO.

Marco

You will see us making updates in this area in our next update. I am not sure if this will be exactly what you want but it will definetly be in the direction you are pointing out to.

I am sure there will be follow up questions once the update is released but over all the answer should be "yes".

Stay tuned.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.