Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Will the Default Browser that Power BI uses for connections be updated to Edge? Salesforce Related

While trying to connect to Salesforce through Power BI Desktop we would get the "Web browser not supported" error message. Upon research it is deteremined that Salesforce will no longer support IE 11. There is a setting on the Salesforce side that can be set to allow for IE 11 to be used at the end users own risk but this option will go away after 12/31/2020.

Are there any plans set to have Power BI update the default browser it is using to do the connectors from IE 11 to Edge or allow the user to change this default setting?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Made it work here! 

1. Open internet explorer (yes, that's still running) and log in to Salesforce (lightning experience). You'll get a message that the browser is not supported. 
  2. Open the IE Compatibility View Settings and add the custom domain as a compatibility site. This should open the classic interface of Salesforce in IE. 
  3. Switch to Power BI Desktop and login to Salesforce. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
wjkolesar
Advocate II
Advocate II

@Gugge - does the Compatbility View settings apprach still work for you? I tried adding salesforce.com to my Compatability View settings and I still cannot log into Salesforce via Power BI Desktop.  Thanks!

@wjkolesar Hi, it still works fine for me. I tried it in Power BI desktop (both my old report and tried it in a new report). I also have the report published and it is running auto-updates each day without any issues.

Thanks for quick reply @Gugge ! Any chance you are using SSO for Power BI and Salesforce?  We are using OKTA for SSO and the authenticaiton screen for signing into Salesforce in Power BI just freezes and nothing ever happens.  Thanks!

We are not using any SSO. I'm logging directly to Production when the choice comes up in PowerBI.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Made it work here! 

1. Open internet explorer (yes, that's still running) and log in to Salesforce (lightning experience). You'll get a message that the browser is not supported. 
  2. Open the IE Compatibility View Settings and add the custom domain as a compatibility site. This should open the classic interface of Salesforce in IE. 

WORKS! Thank you!

@Anonymous wrote:

Made it work here! 

THANK YOU!

This seem to work, I've been looking for a solution for the problem with PowerBI not connecting to Salesforce for a long time now. I even spoken with Salesforce without any help, and here is the simplest solution. It worked and I can now connect to Salesforce thorugh Power BI Desktop. Again, THANK YOU!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Works! Amazing!

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

I would suggest you create a suppor ticket to get help. 

However, you can try update to the latest version of Power BI desktop, or there is a way to connect to Salesforce on service.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply. I will also create a support ticket then.

I have the latest version of Power BI Desktop as it automatically updates on my enterprise work computer. The instructions given on the website to connect to Salesforce is outdated for Power BI Desktop which this was also noted by a user's comment on that site on May 30 with their Github feedback - https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/powerbi-docs/issues/2005. I can connect through the online app.powerbi.com site but this isn't the best when needing to manipulate the data through table joins and other data manipulations.

Apparently, the issue is that Salesforce is no longer supporting Internet Explorer 11. They currently do have an override feature that will allow it to be continued to be used but this too will go away on 12/31/2020 - https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=getstart_browser_ie.htm&type=0. This option is also only available if the vendor chooses to turn on the feature. Power BI desktop seems to use Internet Explorer 11 as the web browser when doing the connections. When a user tries to connect to Salesforce they get an error that says, "Can't access this page - We don't support this browser. Try Opening this page in a supported browser."

I have seen other users post with the same issue. This seems to be a Microsoft, Power BI, and Salesforce issue and not an end user settings issue. That is why I am wondering if there was any scheduled plans to change the browser Power BI utilizes to Edge anytime soon.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.