cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joglidden Member

Re: Will not publish...

@Seth_C_Bauer The problem is that it never errors out, so I can't capture anything. I would like to send a frown with some useful info, but I'm not sure how to get them any. Thanks for your questions and advice.

Moderator v-qiuyu-msft

Hi @joglidden,

I'm not able to reproduce the issue in my environment, would you please share more information with us to reproduce it?

1. In Power BI Desktop, do you use DirectQuery or Import mode?

2. Have you configured RLS settings in desktop?

3. Does the issue only occur for this particular .PBIX file, or for any .PIBX file?

I would suggest you republish the report by Get Data->Files->Local File in Power BI Service to check if the report can be published again. Also please open the Power BI Desktop trace log files around the time publishing the report to see if you can find any useful information, see: Power BI Desktop Trace Logs Analyser.

If you have nay question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
joglidden Member

@v-qiuyu-msft Thank you for responding. 

I am using direct query. In order for it to work, I must run a VPN and the on-premises data gateway. 

I have never used import mode for any report.

I have not configured RLS (row-level security) in desktop. 

Just this PBIX file, which is pulling data from a remote 2012 SQL Server database. 

I don't seem to have the issue for the pbix files that are pulling data from local xlsx sources.

Yes, I have been able to re-publish the report several times since I originally posted. 

It works for a while, then it doesn't.

Thank you for the link. The next time it happens, I will see if I can find some info from the logs. 

Moderator v-qiuyu-msft

Hi @joglidden,

If the .pbix file contain DirectQuery mode data source, when we publish the report to service, we need to configure gateway and add data source connection to make sure the published report can be connected to the data source.

If the issue occurs when you publish the report next time, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
joglidden Member

@v-qiuyu-msft thank you for the response. I have the gateway running and configured, and I still have the problem sometimes. If it continues, then I will let you know. We are about to migrate our db to Azure. When we do this, then I won't need the gateway, and I am hoping this problem ceases. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Summit North America

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Users Online
Currently online: 217 members 2,729 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: