Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

joglidden
Advocate III
Advocate III

Will not publish...

So here is my particular publishing issue...

I make changes to a PBI report in desktop and publish it, and it just spins.... and spins.... and after half an hour I hit 'cancel'. 

The only way I can get it to publish is to go to the service and delete the report and the dataset, then go back to desktop and publish it again. Then it works!

The problem is, that I have to rebuild my dashboard again, which I'm getting tired of doing. 

My apologies if this issue has been solved elsewhere. If so, please someone link me the solution. 

14 REPLIES 14
adrianbravo
Helper I
Helper I

Hi,

I had the same issue, and i found a way to publish, i created a group and inside the group i publish my dataset, and when i want to re-publish i dont have problem.

I know that is it not a solution but maybe for you it is.

@adrianbravo Please give me a little more detail... How do you publish a dataset only? And you publish the dataset in one group, and the report in another group? This might be a workable hack. 

I tested 2 way :

1) I published within  myworkspace and i got the error.

2) I published within a group and it work.

I don't know why, but it work for me.

@adrianbravo Got it. So, I have been publishing in a Group I created, and it works sometimes, but after a day or two, it stops publishing altogether, and I have to go back to deleting everything and re-publishing from scratch. Are you running an on-premesis gateway? Can you tell me what your data source is?

@joglidden Have you always had this issue, or is it recent? (Can you tie the behavior to a recent update) What are you using as a datasource/connection and how large is it?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer I have the most recent version of PBI desktop. 

Datasources is a 2012 SQL Server that I connect to remotely via VPN. It is solid, I've checked.

I am running the on-premises data gateway on my local machine, I've checked it, and it's running just fine. I installed it last week from the most recent available download. 

The data set is tiny. We're talking K, not MB. 

@joglidden Have you created the data source in the gateway? I'm assuming you are the admin so there shouldn't be a need to add yourself as a approved user, but you may need to create the data source (SQL) in the on-premises data gateway prior to publish. (This is done in the Power BI Service)

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer Good questions, yes, and yes. I have published this several times already, so it has worked... it just stops working and won't re-publish until I delete it on the service side.Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG  

@joglidden Whatever action you choose. be sure to send a frown via the desktop, this shouldn't be happening.

@Seth_C_Bauer The problem is that it never errors out, so I can't capture anything. I would like to send a frown with some useful info, but I'm not sure how to get them any. Thanks for your questions and advice.

Hi @joglidden,

I'm not able to reproduce the issue in my environment, would you please share more information with us to reproduce it?

1. In Power BI Desktop, do you use DirectQuery or Import mode?

2. Have you configured RLS settings in desktop?

3. Does the issue only occur for this particular .PBIX file, or for any .PIBX file?

I would suggest you republish the report by Get Data->Files->Local File in Power BI Service to check if the report can be published again. Also please open the Power BI Desktop trace log files around the time publishing the report to see if you can find any useful information, see: Power BI Desktop Trace Logs Analyser.

If you have nay question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-qiuyu-msft Thank you for responding. 

I am using direct query. In order for it to work, I must run a VPN and the on-premises data gateway. 

I have never used import mode for any report.

I have not configured RLS (row-level security) in desktop. 

Just this PBIX file, which is pulling data from a remote 2012 SQL Server database. 

I don't seem to have the issue for the pbix files that are pulling data from local xlsx sources.

Yes, I have been able to re-publish the report several times since I originally posted. 

It works for a while, then it doesn't.

Thank you for the link. The next time it happens, I will see if I can find some info from the logs. 

Hi @joglidden,

If the .pbix file contain DirectQuery mode data source, when we publish the report to service, we need to configure gateway and add data source connection to make sure the published report can be connected to the data source.

If the issue occurs when you publish the report next time, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-qiuyu-msft thank you for the response. I have the gateway running and configured, and I still have the problem sometimes. If it continues, then I will let you know. We are about to migrate our db to Azure. When we do this, then I won't need the gateway, and I am hoping this problem ceases. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.