Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

BM

Will Power BI desktop replace Power View, Query and Maps

I have Microsoft Office 10 so cannot use some of the Power BI Tools.  I can however use Power BI Desktop.  Do you think there will be a need to use Power View, Query and Maps in the future or will Power BI Desktop do what these tools do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Power BI Desktop is designed for exactly your situation: people who don't have the latest version of Excel but want to use the latest features. If anything the features in Power BI Desktop get updated more rapidly than the features in Excel.

The main difference between the Power BI Desktop and Excel is that the Power BI Desktop is focused on Power BI. It generates pbix files and works with powerbi.com. There's no 'export to Excel' (right now at least). By contrast, the Power tools in Excel work very well with Excel (and also work with Power BI).

If your intent is to get started with powerbi.com, you can work with the Power BI Desktop exclusively and never have to switch to using the Excel tools.

The one exception: Power Map (3D Maps in Excel 2016) - is exclusive to Excel and the same functionality doesn't exist in Power BI Desktop.

Hope this helps.

---
In Wisconsin? Join the Madison Power BI User Group.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Excel 2016 still has Power Query, Power View, etc. in it, not really sure where Power Maps is going. What Power BI Tools are you having issues with? I am running Windows 10 as well.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I have Microsoft Office 2010.  So the version of Excel I have is 2010.  This means I do not have Power Query, Power View etc and am wondering if it matters if I can use Power BI Desktop

I believe that all of those tools are free add-ins for Excel 2010, at least I know Power Query is:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39379&CorrelationId=6b90804c-094a-4e61-b109...

Excel 2010 with SA is supported.

OK, I use Power Query, Power View and such in Excel on my Windows 10 device all the time so I was curious what I was missing. Sounds like your issue is more of an issue with Office version, not OS version.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Power BI Desktop is designed for exactly your situation: people who don't have the latest version of Excel but want to use the latest features. If anything the features in Power BI Desktop get updated more rapidly than the features in Excel.

The main difference between the Power BI Desktop and Excel is that the Power BI Desktop is focused on Power BI. It generates pbix files and works with powerbi.com. There's no 'export to Excel' (right now at least). By contrast, the Power tools in Excel work very well with Excel (and also work with Power BI).

If your intent is to get started with powerbi.com, you can work with the Power BI Desktop exclusively and never have to switch to using the Excel tools.

The one exception: Power Map (3D Maps in Excel 2016) - is exclusive to Excel and the same functionality doesn't exist in Power BI Desktop.

Hope this helps.

---
In Wisconsin? Join the Madison Power BI User Group.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.