Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Wilhelm
Advocate II
Advocate II

Why reload entire query when I rename a step?

In an already extremely slow environment due to constant reloading of referenced queries, why reload an entire query when I rename a step?  Is there a way to keep that from happening?

5 REPLIES 5
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Wilhelm,

Here is a similar thread for your reference, and you can try v-qiuyu-msft's workaround.

Edit queries preview must reload each time a change is made

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks, @v-yulgu-msft - I had a quick look.  That workaround (the one to refer to the query as source) is how I'm doing all my referencing, and that is the core of the issue. 

When referring to another query, one would expect thát query to load once, and thereafter only being refreshed upon a 'formal' refresh.  While in memory, all referring queries should just draw from the in-memory loaded results - even if it's a subset for preview purposes. 

Waiting on the source to re-poll the SharePoint folder.Waiting on the source to re-poll the SharePoint folder.At the moment, when referring to another query, even something small like applying a filter to a column goes back through the entire chain of referrals, re-running every single one. 

The query on the screen has another query as its source.  The source loads data from SharePoint, but when trying to filter a column from the secondary query, it re-runs the refresh from SharePoint for the original query - this takes ages, and as you can see, even PowerBI gets to a point where it says it's waiting...

Seward12533
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Don’t think is possible. You can rename the step and just cancel the refresh and live with the warning message.

Thanks, @Seward12533.  Is there a quick way to cancel the refresh that I'm not seeing?

Escape works I think. You can also edit your stop names in the advanced editor. You just need to rename both on the line your renaming and then in the next step. I typically do this in Notepad++ or some other code editor. M supports two different types of comments:

Single line comments can be started with //
You can comment out multiple lines or comment out text in the middle of a line using /* */
e.g. = 1 + /* some
comment */

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.