Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cparker4486
Helper III
Helper III

Why only one relationship per table pair?

Hi there,

I'm new to Power BI Desktop so I'm presuming that (1) I don't understand how it should work or (2) it's still just a new product and this issue will be improved later.

I am learning Power BI by creating visualizations with my Helpdesk data. The data is coming from Excel and I have a Tickets table and a Users table. Each ticket has multiple foreign key references to Users because each ticket has an assignee, a submitter, and a requester (among other similar fields) which are all defined in Users.

The problem is that I can only make one relationship between one of the fields in Tickets and Users.

Is there a specific reason for this behavior?

I did find a workaround by using Merge Queries but I think a relationship is more logical (or, at least, I'm more used to that kind of thinking.)

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Easiest way around this is to import your Users table multiple times, Assignee table, Submitter table and Requester table, etc. and create the relationships between the appropriate fields to the appropriate user table. Same exact query, just change the name.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AlexGorev
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

You can create multiple relationships between tables but only one of them would be active. In case of multiple relationships, you would need to specify which one to be used when creating report visual. Currently we do not support this capability and always use the active relationship.

Using Query View to create a single merged table is a proper workaround. Supporting multiple relationships is in our backlog. Feel free to add your vote in the forum: https://support.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi

Thanks,

Alex.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Easiest way around this is to import your Users table multiple times, Assignee table, Submitter table and Requester table, etc. and create the relationships between the appropriate fields to the appropriate user table. Same exact query, just change the name.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Interesting idea. I'll give it a shot.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.