Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cobra77
Post Patron
Post Patron

Why new power bi desktop not uninstall the last version

Hi,

When I click to download the new version of May from the PBI desktop

Now this launches the windows store and install.

But now i have 2 PBI desktop installed

- Microsoft Power BI Desktop (x64) 2.57....

- Power Bi desktop 2.58....

not very clean 😉

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Cobra77,

I am unable to reproduce this issue. I would recommend you uninstall the April version of Power BI Desktop manually.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Czempijan
Helper II
Helper II

The best way is to uninstall power bi desktop version and install this via microsoft store. then any update will be installed; and won't install another instance of the program.

Jeanxyz
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Just want to say I have the same issue. I always install 64x bit Power BI desktop. When I download new PB desktop, i have two 64 bit power bi and the shortcut key is linked to old version. 

andymc123
Advocate III
Advocate III

Same thing happened to me.  In my control panel 1 was called "Microsoft Power BI Desktop" and the other was called "Microsoft Power BI Desktop (x64)".  I am normally pretty careful about always installing the x64 version.

Since I have a 64 bit PC I kept the x64 version and manually uninstalled the other one.  Funny thing was that my dektop shorcut was linked to the non x64 version so I ended up using the older version the past few weeks.

Also this was the first time that I was directed to the Microsoft store too so you are not alone.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Cobra77,

It seems that you get one of the following scenarios.

1. You have installed 32 bit Power BI Desktop and 64 bit Power BI Desktop on your machine, and the latest installer(32 bit) updates the 32 bit Power BI Desktop.

2. You have installed Power BI Desktop and Power BI Report Server. Please check the names in control panel.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

None of the 2 scenarios

As I said, I opened PBI Desktop, click to download the update.

on the site, I clicked to download, it launched the store and installed the version of may, but not unintalled the version of April, with a different name

they are 2 64-bit versions on my PC.

here is :

pbidesk_1.jpgpbidesk_2.jpg

@Cobra77,

I am unable to reproduce this issue. I would recommend you uninstall the April version of Power BI Desktop manually.

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.