Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why does this formula triggers a cross join?

I have a test dimension table and a fact table. I try to count the number of ids in the fact table. However, my DAX formula triggers a cross join between the tables. I want to know why. D_id is from the dimension table. F_id is the id in the fact table.

If I just use "COUNT()" without the IF statement to test blank values. It does not trigger the cross join. I am very confused.

2018-08-14_17h34_39.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous

I have to agree that this behaviour is confusing!

See this page for an explanation from the experts:

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/autoexist-and-normalization/

When columns of the same table are added to a visual, the AutoExist feature ensures only existing combinations of values from those columns are displayed.

However, when columns of different tables are added to a visual (as in your case), even if there is a relationship between the tables, all combinations including "non-existing" combinations are displayed. 

On top of this, any "rows" where all measures evaluate to blank are hidden.

Since you have constructed a measure that always returns a non-blank value, all possible combinations of D_id and F_id are displayed, effectively giving you a crossjoin of the two sets of values.

When you use COUNT() without IF, the non-existing combinations are hidden because the measure returns blank.

Did you have a particular output you were trying to create, or were you just curious about the behaviour?

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous

I have to agree that this behaviour is confusing!

See this page for an explanation from the experts:

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/autoexist-and-normalization/

When columns of the same table are added to a visual, the AutoExist feature ensures only existing combinations of values from those columns are displayed.

However, when columns of different tables are added to a visual (as in your case), even if there is a relationship between the tables, all combinations including "non-existing" combinations are displayed. 

On top of this, any "rows" where all measures evaluate to blank are hidden.

Since you have constructed a measure that always returns a non-blank value, all possible combinations of D_id and F_id are displayed, effectively giving you a crossjoin of the two sets of values.

When you use COUNT() without IF, the non-existing combinations are hidden because the measure returns blank.

Did you have a particular output you were trying to create, or were you just curious about the behaviour?

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OwenAuger

Thanks for the link and explanation. I kept running through my head that the row context was correct and the filter context was correct. I was banging my head on the wall.

"auto exists" - this is the first time I heard of it. 

I have a report that needs to turn blanks cells into zero. Do you have any good idea how to do it? 

Again thank you very much.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.