Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Tryg2015
Frequent Visitor

Why does my measurement takes the average of a value instead of aggregating?

Capture.PNG

Hi Community

Can anyone help explain why my measurement takes the average of a value instead of aggregating?

I conducted a measure where I divided 2 column with formular:

= divide(sum(column1) , sum(column2), blank())

When selecting “Modeling” on the overhead, Power BI does not give me the option to choose “default summarization”.

Is it because of division that Power BI is unable to aggregate? Because when I just simply add the 2 column Power Bi is able to aggregate.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not like it takes the average of the 3 categories in your table, it is calculating your measure without any applied filters. If you plot it in a table without any "begreb" filtering, you'll get the same result (18 %). Unless of course you have some page or report level filters applied, which I'm not aware of.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
hemantsingh
Helper V
Helper V

Hi @Tryg2015,

Try creating two separaet measure for your sum like this

Measure_1=sum(column1)

Measure_2=sum(column2)

Measure_3 = Divide(measure_1,measure_2,0)

Reagrds

Hi Hemant,

That did not work 😞

No worries...

Can you pleae provide some sample data and the exact end result you want to achieve??

Reagrds

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Tryg2015

Are you refering to the %-measure?

Hi Valibu,

Yes I am.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you used this formula: = divide(sum(column1) , sum(column2), blank()), it's because the total is aggregating between your categories (småskader, mellemskader og storskader), before it calculates the total.

But that does not explain why the division takes the average instead of aggregating?

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not like it takes the average of the 3 categories in your table, it is calculating your measure without any applied filters. If you plot it in a table without any "begreb" filtering, you'll get the same result (18 %). Unless of course you have some page or report level filters applied, which I'm not aware of.

Thanks for the enlightment. I think I got it now 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

No problem, don't hesitate to ask if you in doubt of anything, I'll gladly help out.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.