cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cymorg Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Why does my PBI Desktop login fail with MFA?

My PBI Desktop continually fails to allow me to login.  I'm using Multi-factor authentication.  When I launch the Desktop and try to login it fails.  If I close the Desktop and try again it usually (but not always) lets me login.  Why?  Is there a fix for this?

Error is... 

• Activity ID: 55308a03-5c97-4afb-9295-9fd00b8eae76
  • Relying party: Microsoft Office 365 Identity Platform
  • Error time: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 16:08:22 GMT
  • Cookie: enabled
  • User agent string: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; Trident/7.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; SLCC2; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; Tablet PC 2.0; OWASMIME/4.0500; wbx 1.0.0; Zoom 3.6.0)
3 REPLIES 3
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Why does my PBI Desktop login fail with MFA?

Hi @cymorg,

1. Which version did you use? I would suggest you upgrade to the latest version.

2. I would also suggest you clear the cache of the browser and try again.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
cymorg Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I'm on version 2.66.5376.2521 64-bit (February 2019).  Clearing my browser cache doesn't resolve this - even switching browser doesn't help (I've no proxy so proxy cache can be ruled out).  Anyway I'm using the Desktop application which I expect to be independent of my browser.

When I want to switch .pbix file I must close, open, attempt login, close, reopen & attempt login again, which is usually successfully.  It is more frustrating when trying to have 2+ .pbix files open and logged in at the same time.  When I have 1 .pbix file open and logged in and attempt to open a 2nd file (from File --> Recent Items, or from File --> Open) I can never login to both at the same time.  However, if I have 1 file open & logged in and launch PBI Desktop from it's shortcut and then open the 2nd file I can login to both (sometimes it takes multiple attempts).

I'm pretty sure the root cause is something to do with MFA, but that's just a hunch.  This is not important to me, it's just frustrating in extremus.  

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @cymorg ,

I would suggest you try the latest version or create a support ticket here.

create-ATicket

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.