Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

srhsloan
Frequent Visitor

Why does each series in my clustered bar chart get the same values?

Hi,

I'm trying to create a clustered bar chart where each cluster corresponds to a month, and then each bar in the cluster shows the value of a different field for that month. But I've ended up with all the bars in each cluster getting the value of the first bar:

image.png

The pie charts underneath show the values that should be coming through, so the bar chart should show, for january, Created - 462, Activated - 9, Closed - 89.

The three fields I'm using each take a date and convert it into the 1st of that month, eg:

MonthCreated = DATE(YEAR('Work Items - Today'[Created Date]), MONTH('Work Items - Today'[Created Date]),1)

Any advice please on how I can get one bar chart to effectively show the data from the 3 pies?

Thanks,

Sarah

3 REPLIES 3
shebr
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi @srhsloan

There are a couple of things that need to be done here I think.

First of all, do you have a date table? If not, see this video to create one in seconds! https://youtu.be/vJ7xNUK8sQE

Secondly, you need to create measures for your counts, and incorporate the USERRELATIONSHIP() function. This video shows how to do that. https://youtu.be/-d_v3B8gmvI

At the moment you're only using one date value in the chart and thats showing the same count for all of your counts as its from the same dataset i assume. Watch the videos above and let me know if you're getting anywhere.

If you can send a snap of your data set that may be useful also.

Thanks

shebr

@shebr thanks! I'll watch that video and get back to you next week if I have any more issues.

srhsloan
Frequent Visitor

So I appear to have fixed it, but I still don't understand why I had the problem in the first place.. After making my original post I went back to the column definitions for the 3 columns I was using, to make the closed date of items that have not yet been closed blank instead of 1/1/1899. I did this for activated too and now my graph shows what I was expecting. Pleased but confused...

New column definition:

MonthActivated = IF('Work Items - Today'[Activated Date] = BLANK(), 
BLANK(), 
DATE(YEAR('Work Items - Today'[Activated Date]), MONTH('Work Items - Today'[Activated Date]),1))

New graphs:

image.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.