Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

katieandemil
Frequent Visitor

Why do I get this DAX error

Hi,

I would like to understand why I get an error when I try to filter date field from reporting date dimension using my fact table field Due Date. This variable SequenceResultWithError returns this error "The expression contains multiple columns, but only a single column can be used in a True/False expression that is used as a table filter expression."

I don't understand why it says the expression contains multiple columns, I don't see multiple columns here.

Here is the full DAX calculated column.

Column =
var DueDate = Forecast[Due Date]
var SequenceResultWithError = CALCULATE(max('Reporting Date'[Working Day sequence]),'Reporting Date'[Date] = Forecast[Due Date])
var SequenceResult2 = CALCULATE(max('Reporting Date'[Working Day sequence]),'Reporting Date'[Date] = DueDate)
return SequenceResult2

Take care
4 REPLIES 4
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @katieandemil ,

How about the result after you follow the suggestions mentioned in my original post?Could you please provide more details about it If it doesn't meet your requirement?

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I'm trying to better understand DAX and I still don't have an answer to my original question. which is why do I get an error about multiple columns if I use reference to a single column only. 

v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @katieandemil ,

We can just delete the variable with error, it cannot recogenize 'Forest'[Due Date] as a constant value in filter of calculate funcion.

Column = 
VAR DueDate = [Due Date]
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        MAX ( 'Reporting Date'[Working Day sequence] ),
        'Reporting Date'[Date] = DueDate
    )

After using a var to save the value of [Due Date] column, it will be treated as a constant value and can be used in the filter.

3.PNG

BTW, pbix as attached.

Best regards,

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

you need to change

var DueDate = allselcetd(Forecast[Due Date])

or

var DueDate = maxx(Forecast,Forecast[Due Date])

As per need.

Using that column is passing all values from another table.

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution. In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @
Thanks.

My Recent Blog - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Comparing-Data-Across-Date-Ranges/ba-p/823601

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.