Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Why can't I import Excel from Sharepoint

Hello

I want to add an new excel sources from a sharepoint site (on the cloud) as  a new table in power bi but I can't indicate this source except if the excel file is on  my PC.  Do not understand.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PatrickByGecko 

Here is the step by step process:

• Select "sharepoint folder" under "get data". Paste your sharepoint home page URL. Click OK.
  • In the window, you will see all the list of files names in document library available in your site.
  • Select "transform data"
  • Edit query window appears. You will see the details of your files and there will be "Binary" in first or second column. Click on that Binary option.
  • It opens the data in that file. Now either clkick on transform data or load it directly.

Pls mark this as "ascepted solution" and give a kudos if this solves your problem. 

View solution in original post

It works, thank you a lot and Bravo.

👍

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the excel is in asharepoint site/folder (cloud) then you will have to select the source as sharepoint folder. It wilkl display the files in that folder and you can click on table adjacent to that file to select it.

If you find the solution helpful, do mark this as solution and give a kudos.

Underneath you can see where is my excel files in sharepoint cloud and the message I get when I try to give the Url of the sharepoint site in power Bi desktop...

😞

Sans-titre-1.jpg

I don't see my excel files underneath..

Sans-titre-2.jpg

Hello,

did you finally found a solution? I cannot see my excel files either, it's driving me crazy...

Here is a clearer screen shot. When I copy paste the Url of this excel files I get an error when Opening new source in Power bi Desktop... can you help?

Sans-titre-1.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PatrickByGecko 

Here is the step by step process:

• Select "sharepoint folder" under "get data". Paste your sharepoint home page URL. Click OK.
  • In the window, you will see all the list of files names in document library available in your site.
  • Select "transform data"
  • Edit query window appears. You will see the details of your files and there will be "Binary" in first or second column. Click on that Binary option.
  • It opens the data in that file. Now either clkick on transform data or load it directly.

Pls mark this as "ascepted solution" and give a kudos if this solves your problem. 

It works, thank you a lot and Bravo.

👍

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors