Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MarkDenHeijer
Frequent Visitor

Why are there more workspaces in PBI service than in pbi desktop?

When I am in my power bi online environment, i have a whole range of workspaces to choose from. the list seems to represent all my office 365 groups that I am a member of. 

When I am in the desktop environment and i want to publish a report to the online environment, I only see a very limited list of workspaces. Can anyone explain this?

Kind regards,

mark 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MarkDenHeijer 

1. You can check whether you can publish report in the workspace:

Please open Power BI service with the same account used in Power BI desktop, check which workspaces are available, and you can test if you are able to publish pbix file via Get Data -> Files in Power BI service. 

2. Please check which data source does the report get data from. If it's connecting to Power BI dataset, you can only publish that report to the same Power BI service workspace that contains the dataset being used.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MarkDenHeijer 

1. You can check whether you can publish report in the workspace:

Please open Power BI service with the same account used in Power BI desktop, check which workspaces are available, and you can test if you are able to publish pbix file via Get Data -> Files in Power BI service. 

2. Please check which data source does the report get data from. If it's connecting to Power BI dataset, you can only publish that report to the same Power BI service workspace that contains the dataset being used.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Hi @v-diye-msft ,

It is kind of strange. I have checked what you propose in step 1. I can upload a pbix file to one of the initially invisible (in desktop) workspaces. When I retry publishing this file in desktop the workspace is now also available. Besides that there are more workspaces available. I tried adding files in several workspaces but cancelled out of the file selection window. Nevertheless these workspaces also have been added in desktop. 

Strange... But at least there seems to be a way to make them selectable. 

Thanks for the help.

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @MarkDenHeijer ,

On PBI desktop you will only see the publish option of the groups you have permission to publish / edit reports, if you are part of a workspace but only have visualization permissions you won't see it while publishing.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Hi @MFelix

Can you tell my where I can find these settings? I'm rather new to PowerBI and i can't find the permissions that you refer to. 

kind regards mark

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.