Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why are messages marked as "Solved" when the answer is "No, it doesn't do that" or...

Why are messages marked as "Solved" when the answer is "No, it doesn't do that." or "Yeah, that's not yet implemented." or "Go put in an idea (and get ignored over there)."?

A "solution" solves a problem. I guess moderators get brownie points as they always beg users to mark their responses as "Solved". 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

Because sometimes the answer is "it doesn't do that." Marking it solved doesn't mean there is a workable solution for you. I answered someone the other day that wanted to:

• Pull data into Power Query
  • Based on certian fields, create new queries for each table
  • Load those ever changing tables into Power BI. 

The answer is "that cannot be done." Power Query cannot create queries based on data inside the queries. 

So it was marked as the solution so the thread could be considered closed. At that point, if the product doesn't do something, then it is correct to say it cannot be done, and is up to the user to then decide if they want to add it to the Ideas site.

Having questions linger as "unsolved" creates clutter, and we try to solve everything. Even though, sometimes, the correction solution is, "that isn't possible."

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
edhans
Super User
Super User

I marked this as solved, as that is the answer (maybe not the one you like, but it is correct) and we minimize unsolved posts in the forum.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

edhans
Super User
Super User

Because sometimes the answer is "it doesn't do that." Marking it solved doesn't mean there is a workable solution for you. I answered someone the other day that wanted to:

• Pull data into Power Query
  • Based on certian fields, create new queries for each table
  • Load those ever changing tables into Power BI. 

The answer is "that cannot be done." Power Query cannot create queries based on data inside the queries. 

So it was marked as the solution so the thread could be considered closed. At that point, if the product doesn't do something, then it is correct to say it cannot be done, and is up to the user to then decide if they want to add it to the Ideas site.

Having questions linger as "unsolved" creates clutter, and we try to solve everything. Even though, sometimes, the correction solution is, "that isn't possible."

"It doesn't do that" is NOT a solution. I suggest you add another end point to show that the issue is closed, but not necessarily solved. Maybe "Closed." Of course, at that point you'd have to admit how bad this product is, based on the huge number of unsolved issues.

Great idea. You should add that to the Power BI Ideas site. Ideas (powerbi.com)

Except that site is even more useless.
Like countless others, I have asked for more (any) support for timelines/Gantt charts. But those requests are 100% ignored. 

It's as if MS cares ONLY about finincial reporting as who cares about tracking milestones and dates for things like oh, say, tracking a pandemic over time. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.