cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daviator
Helper II
Helper II

Why are messages marked as "Solved" when the answer is "No, it doesn't do that" or...

Why are messages marked as "Solved" when the answer is "No, it doesn't do that." or "Yeah, that's not yet implemented." or "Go put in an idea (and get ignored over there)."?

A "solution" solves a problem. I guess moderators get brownie points as they always beg users to mark their responses as "Solved". 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

Because sometimes the answer is "it doesn't do that." Marking it solved doesn't mean there is a workable solution for you. I answered someone the other day that wanted to:

• Pull data into Power Query
  • Based on certian fields, create new queries for each table
  • Load those ever changing tables into Power BI. 

The answer is "that cannot be done." Power Query cannot create queries based on data inside the queries. 

So it was marked as the solution so the thread could be considered closed. At that point, if the product doesn't do something, then it is correct to say it cannot be done, and is up to the user to then decide if they want to add it to the Ideas site.

Having questions linger as "unsolved" creates clutter, and we try to solve everything. Even though, sometimes, the correction solution is, "that isn't possible."

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
edhans
Super User
Super User

I marked this as solved, as that is the answer (maybe not the one you like, but it is correct) and we minimize unsolved posts in the forum.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

edhans
Super User
Super User

Because sometimes the answer is "it doesn't do that." Marking it solved doesn't mean there is a workable solution for you. I answered someone the other day that wanted to:

• Pull data into Power Query
  • Based on certian fields, create new queries for each table
  • Load those ever changing tables into Power BI. 

The answer is "that cannot be done." Power Query cannot create queries based on data inside the queries. 

So it was marked as the solution so the thread could be considered closed. At that point, if the product doesn't do something, then it is correct to say it cannot be done, and is up to the user to then decide if they want to add it to the Ideas site.

Having questions linger as "unsolved" creates clutter, and we try to solve everything. Even though, sometimes, the correction solution is, "that isn't possible."

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

November Power BI Update 768x460.png

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the November 2021 Updates!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.