Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chwostian
Frequent Visitor

Why a value in a text column in powerBi gets changed by itself?

Hi there,

Does anyone know what might be the reason that the value in powerBI in a text column gets changed to lowercase by itself? This isn't a rule for every value in a text column.

text_changed.png

Thanks for any hint

Best regards

JK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
avatorl
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

It's not a bug. It's by design. This article explains the problem: https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2019/10/06/power-bi-and-case-sensitivity/

Power Query is case sensitive, while the main Power BI engine is case insensitive. "As+", "aS+", "AS+", "as+" are the same values for Power BI. And if you have all of them in your data source and in Power Query then during data import into Power BI dataset they all will be replace by one of them. I think it will be the first one loaded into the dataset. If "as+" is the first loaded into the dataset, then all next "AS+", "As"+, aS+" records will be replaced with "as+". But it doesn't really matter what exactly you see in Power BI ("as+" or "AS+" or "As+" or "aS+"). For the datamodel (relationships) they are not different. For DAX comparison operators (e.g. "=") they are not different. While there are cases sensitive functions like EXACT(), you can't have values that are different only by case in one column.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
avatorl
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

It's not a bug. It's by design. This article explains the problem: https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2019/10/06/power-bi-and-case-sensitivity/

Power Query is case sensitive, while the main Power BI engine is case insensitive. "As+", "aS+", "AS+", "as+" are the same values for Power BI. And if you have all of them in your data source and in Power Query then during data import into Power BI dataset they all will be replace by one of them. I think it will be the first one loaded into the dataset. If "as+" is the first loaded into the dataset, then all next "AS+", "As"+, aS+" records will be replaced with "as+". But it doesn't really matter what exactly you see in Power BI ("as+" or "AS+" or "As+" or "aS+"). For the datamodel (relationships) they are not different. For DAX comparison operators (e.g. "=") they are not different. While there are cases sensitive functions like EXACT(), you can't have values that are different only by case in one column.

Avatorl, thank you for your answer. 

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @chwostian 

Don't knwo why that would occur on its own.

Can you please supply your PBIX file?

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi Philip, I can't provide pbix file. The data is retrieved from AzureDevOps via analytics view. Any other suggestions? Thanks for prompt reply.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.