Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

santhoshkj
Advocate II
Advocate II

Why Slicers are called Visual?

In one of the top company, they asked question. Slicer is just filtering records. Why is it under visualization pane and why it is called a visual? even though it doesnt provide information alone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
transform99
Resolver I
Resolver I

This is addressed in the PowerBI Documentation:

Slicers in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

In short - Slicers are exactly what you describe (filters). Slicers let you visually display common filtering requirements in a straight forward manner for all users. The filters pane on the right hand side can be more complex for the report consumer. You can put a Slicer visual on the page and limit what options can be selected to refine how users can consume information.

Different field types will display differently. For instance Date slicers can use a slider instead of inputting date start and end. Text options can be shown as a list so you can select 1 by 1 (e.g. for comparison of staff performance). You can also enable the search option on a text slicer to search for options.

You can also sync slicers across multiple pages so that if you apply a filter on 1 page or a bookmark (e.g. a Year filter), it will automatically apply filters to other pages as well.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
transform99
Resolver I
Resolver I

This is addressed in the PowerBI Documentation:

Slicers in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

In short - Slicers are exactly what you describe (filters). Slicers let you visually display common filtering requirements in a straight forward manner for all users. The filters pane on the right hand side can be more complex for the report consumer. You can put a Slicer visual on the page and limit what options can be selected to refine how users can consume information.

Different field types will display differently. For instance Date slicers can use a slider instead of inputting date start and end. Text options can be shown as a list so you can select 1 by 1 (e.g. for comparison of staff performance). You can also enable the search option on a text slicer to search for options.

You can also sync slicers across multiple pages so that if you apply a filter on 1 page or a bookmark (e.g. a Year filter), it will automatically apply filters to other pages as well.

DawitMirkano
Regular Visitor

this question seems to be interested can we get the answer please

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.