Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Gazzer
Resolver II
Resolver II

Whole Number ID Problem (19 Digits)

My data source is using 19 digit integers for unique IDs. According to specification, this is fine with Power BI (19 digits being the maximum width).

When I merge one query with another using this ID for the join, I get multiple rows of data where there should be just one. If I add a filter to the first query so that it contains just one client, I see the following:

• I start with 68 rows of data for the single client, all with the same ProjectUID.
  • I group by ProjectUID and a couple of other common fields and aggregate some values, which gives me one row
  • Then I merge with a second query and when I expand the new fields, I now have four rows - one is the expected client, the other three are totally unrelated clients
  • If I then change the ProjectUID type to text, I get the single row that I was expecting.

I am trying to avoid setting these numeric IDs to text as I believe this adversely affects processing speed and I am already reaching a point where Power BI is to slow to be useable.

I have found that if I take the last 15 digits (which in this case are still unique), then everything works as expected. This suggests that the stated 19 digit width of integer type is incorrect (or that I am misunderstanding something). The number of excess rows reduces by one for each digit I remove from the beginning of the ID. I am uncertain whether the 15 digit width is working because it works or if it is just because I only had three excess rows in that filter to begin with.

Anyone else had this issue?

Just a thought - does the 19 digit width mean 18 digits plus the +/- sign?

7 REPLIES 7
vlknyzc
Regular Visitor

having the same issue with the 17 digits ID column in number format.

PBI rounds up the numbers and my model does not work properly. 

I want to avoid having ID's in text format for the performance purposes but it seems there isn't a workaround, yet.

Ylreeb
Frequent Visitor

Dear PowerBI-Team,

can you please fix this issue...it bugs.

Now stumbling when working with Python DataFrames.

Please fix it!!

Ylreeb
Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue.

Importing data from an Oracle DB with rows of ID's with 19 digits and no signs (as a primary key).

Figured out several issues when  formating it to a "Whole Nr." (Int.Type 64).

• Column Sorting in retrieving -> receiving even more, or less items
  • Relationsships in data model -> cardinality
  • Merging tables

After formating to "Type TExt" it works.

Whats wrong? In my understanding computing digits (instead) of text is even more "easy" for a computer...

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue. When reading in a data table from CSV, the unique 17-digit ID column (no signs) gets converted to a WholeNumber type. These numbers are no longer unique and dropping duplicate rows based on this column reduces the size of the table by half. When converting the ID column back to text, every row has a unique ID again and no duplicates are detected. Why?

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I would say that according to this article:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-data-types/

it should be 19 actual digits and not 18 plus the +/- sign.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Yes, agreed - it is 19 digits without the sign.

Any thoughts on the issue I am having?

Hi @Gazzer,

It's weird, do you mind share the .pbix for further analysis? You can share it by private message.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.