Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KALAKUNTLAS
Frequent Visitor

Whitespace (indentation) before text

Hi All,

I am working on a Table visualization (matrix) and I want to show one main heading and subheadings with the right indentation. I tried by adding space before the text in the format tab. Still, powerBI doesn't take space. The below image shows the powerBI format and the right side image shows what I actually want. It would be great if you could help me solving this issue.

KALAKUNTLAS_0-1631645751365.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoaoMarcelino
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi Kalakuntlas,

Welcome to this amazing community!

The indentation you are looking for is "out of the box" in a visual such as a matrix.
The trick is placing in "rows", fields that represent the different levels of hierarchy such as in the example below (it is from Microsoft Dashboard in a Day so I can send it to you if you want).

JoaoMarcelino_0-1631781608510.png
@MFelix do you have other suggestions you can provide 🙂 ?

Hope I was of assistance!

Cheers,
Joao Marcelino

Ps- Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated 🙂

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
JosHeusdans

Another option is to add chr(9) and after that the blank spaces.  I've done it in SQL, but I'm sure you can do the same trick in PowerBI.

Example:

Concat(
             IIf(Len(T.VolgnummerPath) - Len(Replace(T.VolgnummerPath, '/', '')) > 2,
                 Concat(Char(9),
                 Replicate(' ', Len(T.VolgnummerPath) - Len(Replace(T.VolgnummerPath, '/', '')) - 2)),
                 Null),
                 T.Naam)

In a table visual it shows like:

ExampleExample

JoaoMarcelino
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi Kalakuntlas,

Welcome to this amazing community!

The indentation you are looking for is "out of the box" in a visual such as a matrix.
The trick is placing in "rows", fields that represent the different levels of hierarchy such as in the example below (it is from Microsoft Dashboard in a Day so I can send it to you if you want).

JoaoMarcelino_0-1631781608510.png
@MFelix do you have other suggestions you can provide 🙂 ?

Hope I was of assistance!

Cheers,
Joao Marcelino

Ps- Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated 🙂

Thank you, Jao. I agree it is out of the box. This solution is something close to what I am looking for.

Hi @KALAKUNTLAS,

I'm happy we helped, if my answer was a solution to your question, please consider marking it as "Solution" to better help other members in the future 🙂

Cheers,
Joao Marcelino

Hi @KALAKUNTLAS , 

I agree with @JoaoMarcelino  and that is the best option however what I think you are missing is the second level of the hierarchy to get the advance to work.

Having this said, believe that what you are using on your visualization are meausures or aggregations of columns is this assumption correct?

If so the creation of the level needs to be done in a different way:

• If using colum aggregations or measures and don't want to change the input values what you can do is to add some dots to have the split
  • Another option requires the creation of an additional table and some DAX measure to make it happen.

In the second case you need to had a table with your measures names and the groupings:

Aggregation           Measure

Average value 1 Average value 1
Value2 Min of value 2.1

Dax measure:

Calculation Matrix =
SWITCH (
    TRUE (),
    SELECTEDVALUE ( neasuretable[Measure] ) = "Average value 1", AVERAGE ( 'Table'[value 1] ),
    NOT ( ISINSCOPE ( neasuretable[Measure] ) )
        && SELECTEDVALUE ( neasuretable[Aggregation] ) = "Value2", SUM ( 'Table'[value 2] ),
    SELECTEDVALUE ( neasuretable[Measure] ) = "Min of value 2.1", MIN ( 'Table'[value 2.1] )
)

MFelix_0-1631798955368.png

You can also make some twikings so the values don't appear duplicated on the bottom levels. but this is my main toughts.

Check PBIX attach.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Thank you, MFelix. I didn't learn the DAX language yet. But, I will use this as future reference.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.