Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

samgray85

Which version of Office 365 to buy to access Power BI

Hi,

My organisation is small corporate strategy consultancy. We are moving from Office 2013 to an Office 365 plan - plan type TBD.

We are increasingly analysing client data in PowerPivot, Power Map and starting to explore the Power BI capabilities through some new hires he have coming on-board.

My question is, what Office 365 plan do I need to access these products? I get confused because the PowerBI website implies that the suite is free, but the Office 365 site implies in need the most expensive Enterprise E5 plan.

Any guidance would be appreciated

3 REPLIES 3
mike_honey
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Power BI is semi-independent from Office 365.  It has 2 price levels - Free and Pro:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/

You can buy Pro it's own or add it to an Office 365 plan. 

I say "semi-independent" because if you buy Pro without Office 365, they spin up an Office 365 site with Power BI as the only product.

From your description of your organisation, your main Pro benefit/attraction would likely be Pro-only Collaboration features e.g. using Office 365 Groups.  Pro also adds live and gateway data refresh features, which would let you access your own databases etc more elegantly.

There is a lot of out-of-date info around on Microsoft sites referring to their previous offering "Power BI for Office 365", which was included in some Office 365 plans.  That product has been retired.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-frequently-asked-questions/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Does anyone know if this still applies?

"I say "semi-independent" because if you buy Pro without Office 365, they spin up an Office 365 site with Power BI as the only product."

Regards

Chris

Hi @samgray85,

@mike_honey is right with a couple of caveats:

1. One Office 365 plan has Power BI included: E5. As other E plans, is for the enterprise
  2. In theory, Power BI Pro is standalone, so you do get pro features such as storage and refresh capabilities without Office 365. As @mike_honey mnetions though, to take full advantage of Pro, having Office 365 for features such as groups is ideal

You can always chat with a rep on www.powerbi.com or contact your local Microsoft office for more details.

Data for Everyone! We mean it

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.