Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tahreem24
Super User
Super User

Which source is faster (Excel or SQL server)

Hi Guys,
My client has asked if we connect Power BI report to SQL server or Excel sheet so which is one faster? I mean data from Excel is faster or from SQL Server of same size of data.
I need to show some valid proof (PoC) so please if you have any links or deets kindly share it with me.
It's quite urgent.

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Tahreem24 

SQL server as you can push the native query back to the server and use its resources.

When considering Excel then the location of the files ( SharePoint folder, data lake or local drive ) will have an impact on the performance.

Probably SQL will be faster most times and will give you an ability to Direct Query on larger data sources.

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Tahreem24 ,

Hopes the following links can produce some help:

1. Excel vs SharePoint vs SQL Server vs CDS 
  2. 3 reasons why you should prefer SQL server over MS excel 
  3. Excel to SQL: Why You Should Make the Switch 
  4. SQL vs Excel PowerQuery 

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Tahreem24 ,

Hopes the following links can produce some help:

1. Excel vs SharePoint vs SQL Server vs CDS 
  2. 3 reasons why you should prefer SQL server over MS excel 
  3. Excel to SQL: Why You Should Make the Switch 
  4. SQL vs Excel PowerQuery 

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks a lot @v-yingjl and @Mariusz for sharing the insigthful links and details respectively!

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard

That's my pleasure😀.

Regards,

Yingjie Li

Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Tahreem24 

SQL server as you can push the native query back to the server and use its resources.

When considering Excel then the location of the files ( SharePoint folder, data lake or local drive ) will have an impact on the performance.

Probably SQL will be faster most times and will give you an ability to Direct Query on larger data sources.

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
LinkedIn

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Mariusz,

thanks for your response. I am just getting startet with Power BI and hope that you can maybe help me a little bit on that topic. I still didn't fully understand the advantage of a SQL Database. We are planning to connect multiple EXCEL spreadsheets to create a big Power BI Report/Dashboard. Setting up a SQL Database will prolong our project for another two months. However, some of my colleagues are worrying about the performance of the system and want to setup that SQL-Database.
My idea is to build a data flow, which connects all the different sharepoint spreadsheets. As far as I understand, the spreadsheet data is then stored in an Azure Data Lake. As long as I just update the spreadsheets once a day or every few days, the data lake should provide a highly reliable and perfomant data source. Or am I getting something wrong here?

Best regards

NLZ

@Mariusz ,

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah I know SQL is faster that Excel. But do you have some links because I need to create POC so require some links or reference for this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.