Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ocdewit
Regular Visitor

Where to find the template description?

Hi guys,

When saving templates (.pbit) of my reports I add a description so that others know whats in it and to keep a sort of version control.

Now when I save a new version, after I make changes, I see my previous notes in the popup box. But i haven't been able to find out how to access the description of an existing template?

Can anybody tell me where I can see the description of my template?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @ocdewit,

Now when I save a new version, after I make changes, I see my previous notes in the popup box. But i haven't been able to find out how to access the description of an existing template?

By my test, you need to click Export——Power BI template, then you will see the template description you have edited.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PeteD

Copy the .pbit to a .zip file and open the zip. In there is a file called Metadata which is in JSON format. Field named FileDescription has the description as entered in the dialog box when the template was saved.

prateekraina
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @ocdewit,

In order to see the description of an existing Power BI Template file i.e. pbit file, you need to open the file. Description shows above the parameters text box.

Prateek Raina

I've got a template file without parameters (since login, etc. is handled by custom connector instead of parameters). Is there any way for someone I share the template file (.PBIT) with to read the description before launching the file?

HI @GGetty,

As per my knowledge, you need to have at least 1 parameter to see the dialog box of description when launching a Pbit file.

Prateek Raina

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @ocdewit,

By my test, you need to click Export——Power BI template, then you will see the template description you have edited.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.