Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Penn
Resolver I
Resolver I

Where to find .m file/script with the new pbix file format

Hi All,

I used to be able to extract .m file/script of any Power BI report under DataMashup (see attachment 1). I will then use the .m file (with all the m script used in the report) to show what SQL tables and columns used for that report for the convenience of data warehouse maintanence.

Attachment 1.jpg

But I just found out today that the file components of pbix file changed (see attachment 2), and I don't know where is the .m file located anymore.

Attachment 2.jpg

Does anyone know where can I find the file now with the new Power BI version? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Penn
Resolver I
Resolver I

Tried again this morning, mashup is back in the list of files. Solved.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Penn
Resolver I
Resolver I

Tried again this morning, mashup is back in the list of files. Solved.

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @Penn ,

with the new metadata format they have been moved into the datamodel.

Unfortunately there is currently no DMV that can extract it from the local instance. 

So the only way I can imagine is to get it from the template files (pbit) instead. Yes, that means you have to convert the pbix first...

You can use my Comparer-tool to extract from the zips: https://www.thebiccountant.com/2019/09/14/compare-power-bi-files-with-power-bi-comparer-tool/

Simply fill in the path to your pbit in bot (old and new) fields.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.