Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sophie63
Helper I
Helper I

Where to create a new measure?

Hi everyone,

I am a beginner with POWER BI and I am trying to understand all the concepts and how the tool is working. I have several different tables in my model, each of them linked by a relationship. And I would like to create a report using differents colums in each of the different tables. Inside this report I am creating measures to do calculation between all those columns. However I don't know how to structure the whole thing, where should I create the measures? In which table? In a new calculated table? Which difference does it make?

See below, I created my measures in the Business Units Table but I could have done it elsewhere...Capturetest.PNG

Thanks for helping!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

This is really a preference on your part, measures can be created in any table. Some people tend to create them in the primary fact table that the measure deals with, other people create a new table just for measures. Because of how measures work, it really does not matter what table you create them in.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

This is really a preference on your part, measures can be created in any table. Some people tend to create them in the primary fact table that the measure deals with, other people create a new table just for measures. Because of how measures work, it really does not matter what table you create them in.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Carousel_PBI_Wave1

2023 Release Wave 1 Plans

Power BI release plans for 2023 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April 2023 through September 2023.

Power BI Summit Carousel 2

Global Power BI Training

Make sure you register today for the Power BI Summit 2023. Don't miss all of the great sessions and speakers!

BizApps LATAM 2023

Business Application LATAM Summit 2023

Join the biggest FREE Business Applications Event in LATAM this February.

Power Platform Bootcamp

Global Power Platform Bootcamp

In this bootcamp we will deep-dive into Microsoft’s Power Platform stack with hands-on sessions and labs, delivered to you by experts and community leaders.