Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Where is the ordering option for Sort by Column?

Hello,

under Modeling-> Sort by Column:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-sort-by-column#sort-using-the-sort-by-column-butto...

By default it is sorting by ascending.  I can't seem to find the option to change this to descending, and the help doc seemed to have skipped this information (the previous section on sort order doesn't seem to apply to this method).  How do I change it?

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous ,

From your description, you could refer to below link about custom sorting in Power BI:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Custom-Sorting-in-PowerBI/td-p/126534

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-danhe-msft,

I am unable to create the relationship between the timestamps.

The timestamp is in the table Table1, and the Summary table which aggregates these timestamp values using Summarize(Table1[timestamp]) also aggregates other data on the timestamp from other tables, and when trying to create a relationship (I tried both one to many and many to one), it gives me a warning that there are ambiguous paths between these other tables to the summary table.

Is there a way around this or another method?   Does powerBi not provide any functionality to sort columns by descending order?

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous in visual you can sort by clicking on top right corner (three dots) and on menu you have choice to sort

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The 3 dots only allows me to sort by rows and row values

@Anonymous  the link you sent is to select sort order for your column, to do so, just click on the field you are interested to sort and then that "sort by column" will be active and you can pick sort column from the list.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have done that.  But I am trying to change the order of the sorting (from ascending to descending).

The 3 dots are sorting the values by rows.  I am trying to change the ordering for columns.

@Anonymous can you show what is on x axis and what is your sort options? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

The rows are various coverage metrics.   The columns is the timestamp, which is created from the DAX expression:

SUMMARIZE('table', 'table'[timestamp] ).

The data is displayed in a matrix style, ordered by columns and aggregated on the rows.

chart.png

image.png 

in this visual you can sort asc or desc

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.