Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Where is Power Query in Power Bi Desktop App?

We have been using Power Bi desktop app since it was determined that it has as many features as the standard windows application. I'm looking for a solution to sort columns in a Matrix and i see a lot of Index creation using Power query but i don’t have the option to use Power Query. I use it often in Excel, but it looks like a lot of screenshots show additional functionality under Modeling that are all greyed out for me, in addition to not finding Power Query. My data source is a SQL analysis services cube. 
So, my question is am i unable to see advanced functionality because i'm on the App or is it my datasource?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

If you use connect live, there's no query defined, and the entire external model is shown in the field list.

So edit Query is not available in connect live mode.

You can only contact the data source administrator to modify the data model.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
VijayP
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous
if you are using Dec 2019 or later version in the home tab , you will get one option "Transform" under that you need to select Transform Data to get into Power Query Editor

If you are using older version then you need to select "Edit Queries" and you will be able to go to Power Query EditorPo

Screen Shots atttached

Instead of using "Get Data" Option , use "New Source" option in Power Query to have better ETL Options. 

Under Power Query Editor -> Home -> New Source => Select Database ''

2020-04-17_232453.png2020-04-17_232559.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I only have data source settings under Transform Data.

I've read a bit more and am starting to think it's because we're connecting live to the SSAS cube. 

Could that be the problem?

Hi @Anonymous ,

If you use connect live, there's no query defined, and the entire external model is shown in the field list.

So edit Query is not available in connect live mode.

You can only contact the data source administrator to modify the data model.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was able to add a dimension to the cube that allowed me to combine a couple other dimensions and also affect the column sort order in Power Bi. 

Thanks for confirming what i was thinking might be the problem.

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

Yes, its correct, Edit Query Mode is not available in Live Connection

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.