Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

brunozanoelo
Helper V
Helper V

When we should create Date Table?

Hello guys, 

In one of my PBIX, I have one Star Scheme that have only one DATE column, in this case, I´m using the parameter in PowerBI Desktop which creates one "virtual" date table for each Date column, this PowerBI @GuyInACube video explains: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f7dYB1l84g

In another PBIX, I have an Star Scheme but the main table have MULTIPLES date columns, in this case, should I create one DATE TABLE manually or can I continue using the parameter? Which one is better for performance?

Plus, there´s any explanation why Date and time should be saparated?

@GuyInACube let´s check if you are online 😜

Best Regards,
Bruno

2 REPLIES 2
brunozanoelo
Helper V
Helper V

Hello @HarishKM , thank you for your reply.

I have read this article but what I don´t understand is this:

"However, having a calendar table gives two big advantages:
- It allows you to aggregate data by non-standard columns (think your company’s financial year, or your timesheet weeks, or the Mayan calendar!).

- It gives you access to all of the wonderful time-intelligence functions in DAX, with names like TOTALYTD and CLOSINGBALANCE. Without a calendar table these won’t work."

This is not actually true, since the video that I´ve shared explains that PowerBI do this by itself with the parameter of time intelligence marked as true.

HarishKM
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@brunozanoelo Hey ,

Kindly read this article . Using a Calendar 

Its good read .

HarishKM_0-1618321931460.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.