Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

desertislesql
Helper III
Helper III

When to use Workspace or Organizational Content Pack?

I would like to create several different data models and reports for several different user groups within my organization, such as Sales and Accounting. I do not want Sales to see Accounting's information and vice-versa.  I could use Workspaces or based on what I have read, Organizational Content Packs.  Which tool is best suited for this task?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You can deploy content (dashboards, reports, datasets) as Organizational Content packs regardless of whether the content is in your Workspace or Group.  I would have a Sales and Marketing groups created that would enable their members to work on dashboards that they would eventually publish as a content pack.  Then you can create a content pack and specify what users/groups should have access to these content packs to consume the visualizations.

Only content that is not meant to be collaborated on with others should be stored in your personal Workspace.

Again, it is a bit early to say how solid this advice will be but it seems to make the most sense to me right now.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Andre, 
     When data in a content pack is updated, will those you share the content with need to re-download the new version of the content pack? I'm running into this issue and have not found a solution- perhaps I'm doing something wrong here? 

@BPhetchamphone if end users did not personalize the content pack, they will automatically get the updates.  If they did, they will get a notification to update it manually.

If content pack is deleted or their access is removed, the content pack artifacts will be gone for those users as well.

BPhet,

(Not Andre, but have answer) 🙂

"Yes"

If the end user updates the orginal Content Pack, the are essentially saving a copy of the Content Pack.

Any update to the original Content Pack will require the end user to re-connect to the Content Pack. At that point, they will have 2 of the same type of objects (Dataset, Report, Dashboard) that were in the Content Pack. Their own version, and the new updated version. They will have to manually add their changes to the updated Content Pack if they want to keep them.

This support article also walks through the use cases in more detail

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@desertislesql, think of a Workspace as your own area, Group is a coauthoring, collaboration area, content packs as read only content for end users who will most likely just consume the visuals without having to make edits to them.

This is very high level, but I think directionally accurate.

I was thinking of having workspaces for the data analyst to share on various models.  The thought was that Workspaces would be easier to share and work collaboratively on the reports as a group. The datamodel which contains various data mashups on multiple sources would be on a Corporate one drive so that model changes would be made there and then available for report creation. Once the reports were complete, creating Organizational Content Packs to handle the access of the Sales and Marketing teams. 

Do you believe this would be an optimal way of using both sharing mechanisms of Workspace and Organizational Content in Power BI?

Hi desertislesql,

I can't speak to Workspaces, but from what I've been able to work with in the last day Org Content Packs will serve this purpose nicely. You can explicitly publish a content pack to a list of users, so in your case you could create a content pack for sales, and a content pack for accounting. In addition to that, tabular model permissions are working now for end users, so there is another layer of security at our disposal (I'm really excited about this).

Let me know if that answers the Org Content Pack portion, or if you'd like additional details.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Agreed that having the tabular model as the additional level of security is a nice plus.  I definately want to use Organization Content for groups, I am just not sure what Microsoft had in mind with both Workspaces and Organization Content Group.  Since we are starting out now, I'd like to start out the best way possible so I don't have to go back and fix it later.

You can deploy content (dashboards, reports, datasets) as Organizational Content packs regardless of whether the content is in your Workspace or Group.  I would have a Sales and Marketing groups created that would enable their members to work on dashboards that they would eventually publish as a content pack.  Then you can create a content pack and specify what users/groups should have access to these content packs to consume the visualizations.

Only content that is not meant to be collaborated on with others should be stored in your personal Workspace.

Again, it is a bit early to say how solid this advice will be but it seems to make the most sense to me right now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.