Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

A_S00
Employee
Employee

When publishing report w/ line chart, dots appear on line chart as if I have "Show Marker" enabled

I've made a a report in Power BI Desktop that includes a line chart.  It looks like this:

A_S00_0-1621373351223.png

When I publish my report to a workspace and then view it online, it looks like this instead:

A_S00_1-1621373436351.png

This is similar to what I would get if I enabled "Show Marker" in the Shapes dropdown, but that option is not actually enabled:

A_S00_2-1621373494476.png

How can I make my line chart appear without pink polka dots when published (the way it already appears in the desktop client)?  My Power BI desktop client is up to date.  I don't know what else to check.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
A_S00
Employee
Employee

I was able to resolve this by changing the visualization from a "Line Chart" to a "Line and Stacked Column Chart," then moving both data series into the "Line Values" section (effectively making it just a Line Chart despite the change in visualization).  Once I did that, republishing the report got rid of the dots.

Hat tip to this thread for pointing me toward this solution:  https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Dots-in-line-chart-when-quot-show-markers-quot-are-off/m-p/...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
A_S00
Employee
Employee

I was able to resolve this by changing the visualization from a "Line Chart" to a "Line and Stacked Column Chart," then moving both data series into the "Line Values" section (effectively making it just a Line Chart despite the change in visualization).  Once I did that, republishing the report got rid of the dots.

Hat tip to this thread for pointing me toward this solution:  https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Dots-in-line-chart-when-quot-show-markers-quot-are-off/m-p/...

themistoklis
Community Champion
Community Champion

@A_S00 

Have you tried deleting the workspace from PowerBI service and uploading it again ?

I am not the owner of the workspace, and there are several other reports housed there that aren't mine, so getting it deleted and recreated would be a big ask.

Is deleting and re-publishing the report worth trying?

Hi @A_S00 !

Please make sure [Show Marker] option is set to [Off] for both line categories. You can check this if [Customize series] option has [Show Marker] option set to [On];

Line Chart1Line Chart1Line Chart2Line Chart2Line Chart3Line Chart3

You can try to publish the report in your Personal Workspace, which is specific to each user. See if the show marker behaior still exists after publishing into your Personal Workspace.

Also you can check using different browser if it keeps rendering the markers alongside line. 

Regards,

Hasham

@A_S00 

To test whether this action will fix it... try renaming the report and uploading it to PowerBi service

If you dont see the dots then this will be one of your potential fixes

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.