Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PTalbott
Frequent Visitor

When connecting to a Sharepoint Online List some columns are not showing in data set

Hello,

Disclaimer, I am new to Power BI. 

I am looking to create a custom report from a Sharepoint Online List. I have been successful creating a report for a different Sharepoint List. However, when I connect to this Sharepoint List not all of the columns are appearing in the data query. One firled is an open text field, the other is a dropdown choice with values of either Pass or Fail. I have searched for forum posts relating to this but did not find any solutions that worked. Including looking in the Remove Columns section as well as Choose Columns. 

So far I have:

Cleared all permissions for the data source

Deleted and reconnected to the Sharepoint List (Multiple Times)

Exported the data from Sharepoint into an excel to confirm the columns were populating with data (they are)

I am not familiar with any code languages so I do not know how to edit in the advanced editor but I have included it below in case it is helpful.

let
Source = SharePoint.Tables("https://company.name.com/sites/RIInfoTrack/QAtracker", [ApiVersion = 15]),
#"99bcb22b-f6ec-49ca-a84a-758004d5d53b" = Source{[Id="99bcb22b-f6ec-49ca-a84a-758004d5d53b"]}[Items],
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"99bcb22b-f6ec-49ca-a84a-758004d5d53b",{{"ID", "ID.1"}})
in
#"Renamed Columns"

Apologies if there is a simple solution to this that I am missing; any help would be greatly appreciated.

PTalbott

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PTalbott
Frequent Visitor

I was able to figure it out so I am posting here in case anyone else finds it helpful:

Both columns were in the data set, just under different names:

For the open text column:

Rather than being listed as QA Notes (The field title) it was listed as Odata_iwe9

For the Pass/Fail Choice column:

It was listed under the columns previous title- Training Needed, instead of the new title Call Score.

Lessons Learned:

1. When connecting to a Sharepoint Online List, the data will be pulled in under the original field title. So, if you retitle one of your columns in the Sharepoint list be aware that the name will not change in the data set. (Unless you change it in the Query Editor)

2. Not all data types will appear under their exact column title

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
PTalbott
Frequent Visitor

I was able to figure it out so I am posting here in case anyone else finds it helpful:

Both columns were in the data set, just under different names:

For the open text column:

Rather than being listed as QA Notes (The field title) it was listed as Odata_iwe9

For the Pass/Fail Choice column:

It was listed under the columns previous title- Training Needed, instead of the new title Call Score.

Lessons Learned:

1. When connecting to a Sharepoint Online List, the data will be pulled in under the original field title. So, if you retitle one of your columns in the Sharepoint list be aware that the name will not change in the data set. (Unless you change it in the Query Editor)

2. Not all data types will appear under their exact column title

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.