Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JonatanB
Helper I
Helper I

When connecting to Power Bi dataset, I can't see DAX (or edit) in measures

Hi!
When i connect to a Power Bi Dataset from Power Bi Desktop i can indeed see and use measures that are present in that dataset, but when clicking on them i don't get a DAX-line so i can see and edit the DAX within that measure. I can create new measures without issue.

Worth noting is that the measure i have problems with is created by my colleague. We have the same admin access to the workspace and dataset thou.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Geradav
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@JonatanB You can't see the DAX code from an imported Power BI dataset.

If you need to access and edit the DAX code then you need to do it from the original Power BI dataset.

David

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
polymathy2017
Advocate III
Advocate III

Sounds to me like you might be using a live connection to the dataset. If so, then you will not be able to see the DAX code for measures that come from the datamodel and you will not have access to the data view. You also will not be able to create virtual or disconnected tables. You might check to see how you're connected to the source data.

Frankly, not sure why we'd use Power BI Desktop rather than the service for building visuals with live connections to datasources. Someone educate me, please.

KarenSaunders
Frequent Visitor

Found this cool video - Showing DAX Expressions When Using Power BI Datasets (Live) - Bing video

I did the code, but it didn't really work but provides a method to record the formula.

Geradav
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@JonatanB You can't see the DAX code from an imported Power BI dataset.

If you need to access and edit the DAX code then you need to do it from the original Power BI dataset.

David

Hi!
This sounds not only wierd but also kind of worthless. To not be able to edit excisting measures, fine. But not to be able to even see the DAX in them, well thats really bad.

To not be able to re-use code and to make minor changes makes it almost imposible for me to use data from a Power Bi Dataset. I then have to download the file and tell my colleagues to paus there work, then upload the update and tell them to go get the new version..

I must be getting this wrong? This can't be the way it's supposed to work?

Geradav
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

@JonatanB If you use SharePoint or Ms OneDrive, I would highly suggest you one of those Cloud storage for collaboration on your Power BI file. Then from the Power BI service you create a connection to that file stored in a SharePoint Library/OneDrive folder.

Therefore, each time you modify the dataset it syncs automatically with the Power BI Service and no need download - upload all the time.

I personally never use the "Upload to Power BI Service" feature. It is kinda bad practice (if you have SharePoint/OneDrive)

Otherwise, the data model, M code, and DAX are definitely not accessible from an imported PBIX dataset.

David

This may be the case if you're building reports only for yourself to read but not in any other use case. Uploading to the Power BI Service is crucial for certain functionality and also if you plan to publish for others to use.

Thanks for this!
Let's hope this will change in the future. Datamodel is since december 2020 (or i may be missinformed) accessible, so i can edit the datamodel when connected.

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

HI @JonatanB ,

Can you add some screesnhots here please for the following related to your issue?

1. when you click on an existing measure, you don't see the formula
  2. when you create a new measure you are able to write the dax

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Good day Microsoft - no screenshots is needed, but I attached - i just created a new measure - and I can not see the code section to insert dax code?

I can not attach a screen shot for you?

Hi!
Well, there is not alot to screenshot i'm affraid.

When i click a measure, the argument line where you would type the DAX does not show.

When creating a new measure, it does.. 😕

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.