Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ranjitsingh
Advocate I
Advocate I

When are tables actually loaded into Power BI ?

I'm a little confused about the point at which tables from an external source such as an sql server are loaded into Power Bi.

Its my understanding that its at the point where you hit Close & Apply from Power Query Editor (and that the Power Query editor itself is only for shaping queries, i.e. before any loading.)

ranjitsingh_1-1617316262476.png

However...

some posts suggest data is loaded when you specify the server/Database, select the Import mode and hit OK

ranjitsingh_3-1617316613619.png

Some other posts suggest data is actually loaded to Power BI at the point when you select tables into power query editor from the Navigation Window and hit OK

ranjitsingh_2-1617316531606.png

Whats the Truth ? 

@lbendlin @selimovd @amitchandak 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

All of these options are variations of Power Query. When you are in the editing window, power query loads a sample of data - up to 1000 rows per table by default, but this can be set to "all data" if you need to profile all the data. The sample data is not loaded to the PBI DB, but it is cached in  PQ.   The data is loaded after PQ is done. You can load without going into the editor window in some instances. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

All of these options are variations of Power Query. When you are in the editing window, power query loads a sample of data - up to 1000 rows per table by default, but this can be set to "all data" if you need to profile all the data. The sample data is not loaded to the PBI DB, but it is cached in  PQ.   The data is loaded after PQ is done. You can load without going into the editor window in some instances. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Your first one is correct.  The other would bring up the query editor in a preview mode so you can work out any needed data transformations with example data.  Once you hit Close & Apply, it will apply those steps to the full dataset.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.