Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pkoel-asb
Helper V
Helper V

When I import a data source - where does that data go?

Hi,

I am a new Power BI user. When I import from a data source, where does that imported data go, and how long does it stay there? I do not beleive it resides in the dataset.  I have seen informaiton that is goes to a Azure Blob Storage. I found this article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-power-bi-security It is very confusing for a new user and does not talk about the life-span of the BLOG or what happens when the dataset is re-freshed: is the BLOG ower-written, or is a new BLOG created. If a new one is created, what happens to the old one?

Cheers,

Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

It doesn't matter how many million records your database contains. What matters is how much data you use to build your report (After ETL). This late data is stored in the Dataset. If you have a pro License the Dataset can't be bigger than 1GB in order to publish it to the service into a workspace. Every workspace can hold up to 10GB of datasets. these dataset from the workspace are stored in Azure Blob.

I hope the picture is clear now!

Let me know

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @pkoel-asb 

The link you provided is taking to a different planet lol. why can't you beleive that your imported data resides in the dataset. Once you finish building your report you will publish it to Power Bi service and the dataset will then be saved to Azure Blob Storage  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-manage-your-data-storage-in-power-bi. when the dataset is refreshed it will be overwritten, no creation for a new Dataset.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. Thank you for the link as well. Does the data set just reference the actual storage location in the Azure Blob?

Cheers,

Peter

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

@pkoel-asb 

Sorry didn't understnad your question!

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Hello,

Thank you again for the fast reply. I have a 50 Million record database. When I publish a Power BI desktop application, is the 50 million records stored in the data set, or is the 50M record stored in the Azure Blob? If it is stored in the Blob, does the published data set just act as a reference to the Blob?

Sincerely,

Peter

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

It doesn't matter how many million records your database contains. What matters is how much data you use to build your report (After ETL). This late data is stored in the Dataset. If you have a pro License the Dataset can't be bigger than 1GB in order to publish it to the service into a workspace. Every workspace can hold up to 10GB of datasets. these dataset from the workspace are stored in Azure Blob.

I hope the picture is clear now!

Let me know

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.