Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

udian
Helper III
Helper III

When Does PBI Generates Tabular Cube?

Hi,

I understood that PBI uses tabular cubes behind the scene to implement the models built using it.

Are there any cases where PBI doesn't use a tabular cube?

For example if i use a freehand sql server query with live connection generating a single table in the model, does power bi still generates a tabular cube behind the scene?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @udian

You are right, PBI uses tabular cubes behind the scene, but when connecting to SSAS via live connection, Power BI don't need run tabular cubes behind its scene, because Power BI connect to SSAS directly and use the tabular cube in SSAS.

Best Regrads

Maggie

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @udian

You are right, PBI uses tabular cubes behind the scene, but when connecting to SSAS via live connection, Power BI don't need run tabular cubes behind its scene, because Power BI connect to SSAS directly and use the tabular cube in SSAS.

Best Regrads

Maggie

Thanks Maggie!

So this is the only case that PBI doesn't generates a tabular cube?

If i do a live connecion the SQL Serever DB and choose only one table will PBI still generate a tabular cube to represent it?

Thanks again.

Hi @udian

As far as I known, Power BI Desktop can connect to SQL Serever DB via import or direct query mode but not live connection.

When connect to SQL Serever DB, it will generate a tabular cube to represent it.

Best Regards

Maggie

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.